Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

My clicks are just too blunt...

ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
27 Aug 2009 9:39AM
When I have a few spare moments and take time to cruise throught the galleries (is that allowed?) inevitably I find myself checking out all sorts of images. Now the thing is I will often alight on shots that are not brilliant but have some merit (Ok so you can see where this is going). I might leave a few comments and a click (cause it has some merit). I will also check out some absolutely stunning shots but the best I can do is leave pretty much the same seal as the above example (bar a once a week personal award).

I know the system is currently under review - and maybe something like a sliding vote scale is/has been considered. I have to say that the ability to vote out of ten or even three or five would be a fantastic step forward.

I also suspect that it may address many of the other click problems so often trailed here on the forums (fora?).

Cheers

Robert

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
27 Aug 2009 9:42AM
How about applying to join the EC nominations team then

That's the team that put forward images they think worthy of a HC/EC - Pete will then see those and make his own mind up.

But in doing that, you are adding more to an image than just your click - you're giving it a chance of a higher award
SteveCharles 11 2.3k 18 England
27 Aug 2009 11:42AM

Quote:I have to say that the ability to vote out of ten or even three or five would be a fantastic step forward.

I also suspect that it may address many of the other click problems so often trailed here on the forums

The original system that was in place before the current vote/click system was based on marking out of 10 (or was it 5?), but it just comes with its own problems, namely people giving 10s to their friends and 1s out of spite.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
27 Aug 2009 11:48AM
Yes it was 5 and caused those extremes that Steve mentions. We tried the 1 to 10 option in the challenge gallery to see if that would work these days. It has the same problem and needs careful monitoring.
pablo69 6 200 6 England
27 Aug 2009 12:42PM
I would like to see a "out of" ( 5 or 10) makes no odds, I try to look at most pics in the gallery daily and often if i like an image I will leave a click but do not always have the time to put a comment, if I put a comment I try to put something useful, you can only say "nice shot " some many times.

The "out of" system would mean more if I could give score a I feel I am giving more value to the tog who took it.
All systems have faults and will get abused that is just human nature, but if showed the score some one gave maybe it would encourage some fairness to it, would it also be possible to add all the scores to give the average and any that where 9+ were then included in the pot for the HC/EC?

Just somes suggestion

Paul
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
27 Aug 2009 12:59PM
Cheerio then

Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
27 Aug 2009 1:05PM
what - all 4 shots!!!???
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
27 Aug 2009 1:10PM
But how about if only the total voted score showed and there was therefore no way of knowing how many votes were attributed to any particular voter.

So you would have comments, attributal as now (and of course the assumption that most had voted but no way of finding out at what volume) a list of voters as now (which would exclude 'vote no comment' visits - as now) and then a total votes cast figure.

In answer to Ade's comment I am more than happy to put something back in as he suggests - although I am sure I will fail the entrance exam. Where do I sign up??

Cheers

Robert
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
27 Aug 2009 1:16PM
PM the team Robert - I'm sure Pete can put it into action.

It's a very altrusitic thing to do - helping people without them ever knowing you've helped them is quite a nice thing to do Smile

ON the scoring votes thing - it doesn't work well because people know who's shots they are looking at and add in the "friend factor".

It has been suggested (by me and ohters) that we have the gallery anonymous for a week so you don't know who's shot you're voting on and can be more subjective - but that may not work because many togs have a style/subject matter that's instantly recogniseable.

it's frustrating

we've all discussed it over and over

there's no simple solution or it would have been in place long ago.

best just to be honest with your own voting and hope people follow suit... e.g. if you only post on your mate's better shots, they will probably reciproacte. A bit of honesty can go a long way
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2009 1:32PM
Personally I think that a scoring system is likely to be the subject of more heated debate than the current click system.

As it stands I am not judging one image against another I am simply deciding whether I like it enough to give it a click. I click beacuse it appeals, and I do not want to have to decide whether I like it more or less than the last image I clicked on.

If I want my images to be competitively judged I'll enter a competition (as I do at my camera club) - on epz I am just sharing - and the only judgement i'm interested in is did you lke it (not how much more or less did you like it than the other stuff you voted on).
pablo69 6 200 6 England
27 Aug 2009 1:34PM
When I veiw a pic a try not to look at the name until I have veiwed/voted on it, your right about spotting styles of certain togs, you can tell from the thumb nail who took it.

But your right in that there is no one simple solution to it, other than to try to get people change their attitudes towards it!!! ( that may set a spark going)
webjam 10 292 11 Netherlands
27 Aug 2009 9:14PM
If you could not give 'merit' clicks, lots of people would have a hard time staying while trying to improve their photography. I tend to go through the whole gallery and try to comment on all the pictures that I get to see. That way I don't restrict myself to the genre that I usually like and discover some great pictures and new toggers as well.

I think for new comers and beginners it is important that they see that their image is getting looked at and not being ignored. Whether it is by getting comments or clicks. Would be great if there were 3 different clicks possible:

one: you are getting there, keep on going
two: great image, just a minor fault/problem
three: love it

But with thousands of toggers here on EPZ, we will always have thousands of different opinions about this click issue! Smile

I click, therefore I am an EPZer... Smile

Jacqueline
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
27 Aug 2009 9:27PM
On the face of it it would seem that a system where comments and votes are seperated would seem to answer many of the issues

If you vote on a pic you can't add a comment and vice versa!
Simples....
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
27 Aug 2009 9:29PM

Quote:I might leave a few comments and a click (cause it has some merit)

Good job I`ve a thick skin, I`m doing pretty well at avoiding clicks so no thanks Smile

Quote:I know the system is currently under review - and maybe something like a sliding vote scale is/has been considered

Discussed many times, would be a nightmare Sad
webjam 10 292 11 Netherlands
27 Aug 2009 9:51PM

Quote:If you vote on a pic you can't add a comment and vice versa!
Simples....

Don't agree with the idea of such a system. Sometimes I just want the togger to know what I like about the picture. Would be ridicious if you cannot comment on a good picture because you have clicked it!

Personally I like the clicks on my pictures so I know which are good and which are not so good (or just plain bad). And I like comments so that I can hear from others what they like about it or find that need some improving - which helps me to broaden my view.

And then there are images that I just like and don't care if no EPZer gives a ***** about it. Smile!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.