Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

my computer is generating spam e-mails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

guidoa
guidoa  131331 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Feb 2012 - 7:32 PM

To- day I had 26 e-mails "bounced" back which apparently initiated from my hotmail account.

Most seemed to have been sent to people in my contact list but whose addresses no longer existed.

It looks as if someone has hacked into my account so I have changed my password. Should that deal with the problem or is there something else I need to do. I use the free version of AVG which is up to date. It seems to have been adequate in the past.

Any suggestion much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Feb 2012 - 7:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2012 - 7:46 PM

Happened to me and stopped after I changed my password. That was with hotmail as well. It did reach nearly all my contacts though and was from a company in China.

Email all your contacts and tell them to delete the email if they have received it.

Jane

robthecamman
10 Feb 2012 - 7:57 PM

wat people you got in msn maybe time for a few delete and blocks

Jestertheclown
10 Feb 2012 - 8:19 PM

If someone's accessed your account, they're very unlikely to have done so by guessing your password, in which case simply changing it won't prevent them doing so again.
The only certain way to secure your emails is to ditch that account altogether and open a new one.
Hotmail's reputed to be an easy target anyway. I'd go elsewhere.

guidoa
10 Feb 2012 - 8:38 PM

Thanks Jester, if I ditch the account will the spammers not be able to access and use it ? Is there a way of deactivating it?

Jestertheclown
10 Feb 2012 - 8:56 PM

The last time I used a Hotmail account was a few years ago.
At that time it was possible to close/delete the account so that it no longer existed. I think that it took about thirty days or something similar to go away once I'd pressed the button.
I suppose that it's still possible to do so but as I recall, the option to close the account was pretty well hidden somewhere in a menu on the "settings" page.
The best course of action, I think, would be for you to open an account elsewhere, there's a huge choice although personally I favour Gmail, then send each of your contacts an email telling them what you've done. They'll gain your new email address from the one you're sending them.

Jester.

Edit: I've just looked at my "Skydrive" account, which includes an unused Hotmail account and the option to delete it is still there.
Open your inbox and click on "options" (top right).
Then "More options."
> managing your account.
> Account details.
> Other options.
> Delete account. (third line from the bottom.)
I think that this will delete it straight away so you might want to save a list of your contacts first.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 10 Feb 2012 - 9:06 PM
User_Removed
10 Feb 2012 - 9:05 PM

Hotmail accounts are notorious for hacking.

Change your Password for something more than 'the obvious' (Wink) or even better, get a 'gmail' account. Their SPAM controls are excellent.

Jestertheclown
10 Feb 2012 - 9:12 PM

Quote: Change your Password for something more than 'the obvious' (Wink)

It doesn't matter what you change the password to Mike. For the hacker to have used the password, they'd have to have seen it or been told what it was. Which could be the case, of course.
More likely though that it's been bypassed.

I agree re. Gmail. It's probably the best webmail there is (in my opinion.)

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2012 - 9:18 PM

Thats weird, I get more spam with gmail than any other email account I have, yahoo is in a close second though.

I had a hotmail account compromised by a trojan, got rid of that and changed the password and all seems to have been ok for ages. Although trying to get any help from msn was impossible Sad

robthecamman
10 Feb 2012 - 9:27 PM

how many contacts have you on msn ?how many do you use?dont add people willy nilly accept photos or open e mails you dont know who they from just general rules yes msn is crap

guidoa
10 Feb 2012 - 9:39 PM

Thanks, I have told all on hotmail that I am discontinuing and to use my gmail account. I have also changed the password to a "very strong" password, so hope that will be the end of it.

I only have AVG free 2012, any one any problem with it? Had it for a couple of years and never had problem.

Thanks jester.

Last Modified By guidoa at 10 Feb 2012 - 9:41 PM
Jestertheclown
10 Feb 2012 - 9:45 PM

Quote: I only have AVG free 2012, any one any problem with it?

Nope.

Be careful what you open in the way of emails though. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, because nothing's completely safe and if you inadvertently invite something in, AVG may well recognise it as being friendly.

Kentoony
Kentoony  3 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2012 - 9:47 PM

Happened to me just 2 days ago on my btinternet account. Their bypassing the password and using your contact list to send rubbish emails to your friends. Ive written all my important email contacts down on paper and cleared my contacts, also changed password in the vain attempt to stop them. If you have no contact list they can't make use of your email add. In the past few days Ive heard of many people with the same prob so its obviously a widespread thing. Good Luck.

robthecamman
10 Feb 2012 - 9:59 PM

you sure its not one of msn contacts sending rubbish tho

Jestertheclown
10 Feb 2012 - 10:10 PM

Quote: you sure its not one of msn contacts sending rubbish tho

They'd need to know the password, or how to beat it. The former is a possibility. The latter is highly unlikely.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.