Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

my computer is generating spam e-mails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2012 - 10:52 PM

Quote:
Whilst that's good advice and should be followed the attackers only get a few attempts to log-in before the account is locked.

depends, you can often attack a much less secure server from somewhere else on the web and get the password file. On many such servers the password maybe held as clear text, if not you can dictionary crack it off line at your leasure.
A lot of people use the same password for multiple systems, so crack the weakest one and you can get into them all.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2012 - 10:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
12 Feb 2012 - 11:17 PM

I'm talking in the context of Gmail and Hotmail accounts. (Not say the AmateurBBS 3.1 Forums)

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2012 - 6:48 AM

Sure Chris but my point was if you use the same password in multiple places a hacker only has to get access to the weakest one to compromise them all.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
14 Feb 2012 - 2:50 PM

safest way is to have your contacts ONLY on your PC!

web mail looks good but is only fit for NON secure stuff,

once you have lost your contacts to a spammer they get sold on, and on, and on,
your contacts (hopefully not business!) will not appreciate it!
IT costs ME a lot of money top maintain a secure and "minimised" spam mail on my servers!

personally I would cut off their fingers IF I caught them might slow them a bit eh?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.