Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

My D600 arrived today...

9 May 2013 12:12AM
After much anguish over dust/oil hoo-ha I'd read all over the net, I just went with the more positive reports and my own past positive experiences with Nikon over 20 years and ordered from B&H in NY.

Did the recommended sky shot test for potential dirty sensor problems and found only one odd, small but very dark bit that appeared in the lower center. That was gone with a couple of whiffs from a Giotto bulb blower. No corner or other dust bits or signs of oil and no wet cleaning/swabs etc. needed...as yet.

Bought with 32 & 16 GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC-1, 300X cards, extra battery and ML-L3 remote.

Will get to first shooting tomorrow as I'm resting a bad knee.

All the best,

NF / BA

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 12:17AM
Enjoy - it's upposed to be a very capable body Smile
Chant57 e2
8 391 3 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 7:55AM
Enjoy!
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
9 May 2013 9:01AM
Go for it Smile
carper123 e2
3 116 6 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 1:20PM
Have fun, a cracking camera, but expect muck on the sensor after some use.Sad
Cheers anyway.Wink
Darryl.
woodworth 2 25 United Kingdom
10 May 2013 9:19PM
I've been using my D600 for some months now and have shot something like 5000+ frames so far but have not had any particular issues with dust and no oil spots. I have cleaned the sensor once but have otherwise have relied on the antidust mechanism on startup/shutdown). I was concerned to receive reports of the famous dust/oil spot problem but whilst I feel for those who have suffered in this way, I have not suffered with this problem myself. I have found the D600 to be a very reliable, effective tool and one which is easy to use and very capable. The only issue I have had is that I have had to increase the RAM in my computer to cope with the bigger file sizes (Lightroom used to slow down somewhat when you have 700/800 24mp pics loaded).

I also use the D800 which I prefer for some assignments but the D600 is excellent when you want to keep the weight/bulk down for a whole day out in the field.
14 May 2013 11:16PM
I'm sending it back to B&H. This camera had 120+ actuations on it when it arrived and some dust.
The dust seemed to go away when it was hit with a Giotto bulb blower, but new dust replaced it immediately.
The existing firings seemed signs of previous use either as a store demo or a returned item. I'm told, by some, that B&H does not do this. But what am I supposed to think? It may be a refurbished body for all I know.
I paid $2100 (w/accessories) for a new, unopened & unused D600.
If the replacement doesn't arrive with zero shots on it, it will go back as well.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
15 May 2013 4:15AM
I'd phone B&H before sending it back. It might be something that's required by Nikon for that particular problem.
owen3371 1 1 United Kingdom
19 May 2013 12:18PM
ive just bought a d600 and guess what? oil spots! so i bought a wet cleaning kit and got on and cleaned the thing(it only takes 30secs) and guess what after 1000 actuations later? no spots!simple!Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.