Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My favourites

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 1:22 PM

I've just received an email that accuses me of the usual awarding my favourites again. Rather than reply individually I'll reply here which also goes to anyone else who still thinks I award pics to favourites.

I DO NOT choose pics based on favourites

I have chosen to use the ePHOTOzine favourites feature but have that purely as an option to look back at any particular photographer who stands out for whatever reason.

I don't go viewing their portfiolios religiously I look at my favs list once in a blue moon...the first time today for about six months just to see if QFQ or Brisco are on my list. No they are not...neither is Cheryl...nor in fact any bird photographer. Bird photography is not up there in my world of favorites.

I just try to award pictures that I see are of outstanding quality either from either a wow factor or technical point of view.
I do not penalise those who question my choice
I just try to provide an honest addition to the site

This is the last time I'm discussing ECs - my line will take that of a typical magazine editor and become "the editors choice is final"

If you don't like my choice - ignore it - stop looking in the EC gallery. And have a go yourself...as a Guest Editor

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2011 - 1:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesGarfield
13 Jan 2011 - 1:26 PM

Can't say fairer than that.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 1:31 PM

Someone's wearing his grumpy hat today.

User_Removed
13 Jan 2011 - 1:33 PM

I agree - if one doesn't like the EC choice - move on.

Everyone has the opportunity to be a Guest editor - and if one thinks it's that easy - give it a go.

But be prepared to take the 'flak'.

Wink

EDIT:

Quote: Someone's wearing his grumpy hat today.

Join our Group Pete!! Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Jan 2011 - 1:35 PM
edrhodes
edrhodes  9514 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 3:00 PM

I don't know how you have the patience to keep answering this question year after year Pete...

Bottom line is to all the moaners, put up a good image and it will get awarded, if it's not it wont, simple as....

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 3:04 PM

Oh dear, poor Cheryl. Wink

ejtumman
ejtumman  92756 forum posts England
13 Jan 2011 - 3:06 PM

I can't believe this still gets bought up......

But it has made me chuckle Smile

(Sorry)

E

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 3:17 PM

Quote: Oh dear, poor Cheryl. Wink

awwww.......Tongue

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122047 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 3:24 PM

Just ignore them. If they leave, so what? You don't need them.

Gary_Macleod
13 Jan 2011 - 3:42 PM

as you say Pete...let them have a crack at it....i certainly wouldn't want to do it

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 4:31 PM

I shouldn't take it to heart if I were you Pete. When time is of the essence and trawling the gallery isn't an option then I just peruse the EC and HC galleries as I know for a fact that they will contain an eclectic mix of quality photographs. And if certain names appear quite regularly in there then so what .... they're just ruddy good photographers. Simples.

Interestingly I've just perused the GE gallery and was quite surprised to see that there's some very good stuff in there too. So well done Guest Editor's for being objective and picking quality images rather than all their chums shots.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 4:38 PM

As the incumbent GE all I can say is that it's not easy, I honestly don't know how you do it day after day week after week.

Any judges view is always going to be subjective. If the comments relate to a recent bird on stick image - I can also say it was on my shortlist and I too nearly gave it an award.

Your right to go with the line the editors decision is final. If they feel so strongly it's a shame the person concerned doesn't have the courtesy of doing so in the forum and putting themselves forward as GE.

It's another example of knocking the site instead of celebrating what's good about it.

What I will say I've as GE I've tried to be as objective as possible - I haven't visited my favourite list. Yes some people have distinctive styles so there's no hiding who they are.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 13 Jan 2011 - 4:44 PM
sitan1
sitan1  5428 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jan 2011 - 5:01 PM

How do I get on this favourite list and how much does it cost GrinGrinGrinGrin

sitan1
sitan1  5428 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jan 2011 - 5:01 PM

Above was a joke by the way Tongue

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 5:08 PM

Quote: How do I get on this favourite list and how much does it cost

Ask Cheryl, she's forked out loads in bribes according to some of the jealous crew. When they can appreciate she's a bloody good photographer my job will be an easier Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.