Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My first German camera - Altix V

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Royalrat
    Royalrat  3 Israel
    12 Sep 2011 - 7:54 AM

nitzan-collages---s.jpg

Yitzhak Nitzan bought his first camera at a Tel-Aviv Camera shop in 1958 when he was 22 years old. He used much of the money he saved during his military service to buy it, and he had high hopes that it will serve him for a very long time. In those days, many Israelis preferred to ban German products, but at the same time acknowledged the fact that they were the finest in quality. Mr. Nitzan didn’t think twice and chose the best camera the clerk at the shop could offer him for his money – The German Altix V. During the next 30 years this camera served its purpose, until it was replaced by an automatic point and shoot. Now, at the age of 77, Mr. Nitzan has found it again, and offered me to take it for a ride. This camera is a strong one, so he didn’t fear I would ruin it. “What’s the different”, he said “Nobody in my family is interested in this camera anyway”. It is very exciting to use such an old camera, but soon enough I forgot that fact, and was running with it down to the beach and into the waves. Don’t worry, the Altix V survived the ordeal and came back from the dead of the closet to tell its story once again!

http://royalrat.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/my-photographic-time-tunnel-altix-v/

lone-surfer---s.jpg

Last Modified By rhousham at 12 Sep 2011 - 10:50 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Sep 2011 - 7:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Royalrat
    Royalrat  3 Israel
    12 Sep 2011 - 10:27 AM

Sorry about the wrong link. Here is a good one:
    http://royalrat.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/my-photographic-time-tunnel-altix-v/

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2011 - 4:02 PM

My first German camera was the Agfa 9 speed Silette. It was stolen from me within a few months of possessing it. I sadly missed it.

I recently bought the exact same model on ebay.

I held the camera in my hands and the years rolled back, over fifty of them, in fact.

I have used it extensively since. Somehow its simple arrangement of manual focusing, shutter speed and aperture rings, plus the use of a hand held selenium exposure meter, seemed to release me from the shackles of its more sophisticated SLR brothers.

I have got some very satisfying pictures with it.

User_Removed
    18 Oct 2011 - 8:26 PM

My first camera was made in Hong Kong or thereabouts - a Halina A1 TLR that took both 6x6 and 35mm (the latter with a telephoto effect from the 80mm lenses). I think it cost £9/19/6d in 1959.

pentaxpete
    18 Oct 2011 - 9:03 PM

My first 'GERMAN' camera was a pre-war Zeiss Contax III with un-coated f1.5 Sonnar lens bought for £35 in Berlin in 1957 when I was there in the Army -- then I got a NEW Zeiss Ikoflex with 75mm f3.5 Zeiss Opton Tessar lens for £15 in Iserlohn when I was posted there.

AlexandraSD
    19 Oct 2011 - 1:32 PM

My first German camera was my first camera, a Praktica MTL 50, solid, rugged, basic, noisy, ugly, reliable, heavy and cheap. Had one for years until i got a canon av-1 to replace it.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2011 - 2:14 PM

My first camera was an Agfa - and I used Agfa film in it. Smile

Last Modified By Carabosse at 19 Oct 2011 - 2:15 PM
    Royalrat
    Royalrat  3 Israel
    19 Oct 2011 - 2:31 PM

Quote: My first camera was an Agfa - and I used Agfa film in it. Smile

What Agfa? Clack?

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2011 - 2:45 PM

Quote: What Agfa?

This one.

agfa-iso-rapid-if.jpg

Royalrat
    Royalrat  3 Israel
    19 Oct 2011 - 2:56 PM

Nice!

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022894 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2011 - 3:14 PM

You'd have had no choice but to use Agfa Film in that one.

Carabosse
    19 Oct 2011 - 4:50 PM

Quote: You'd have had no choice but to use Agfa Film in that one.

As I was little more than a toddler at the time, I really wouldn't have known! Wink

But yes, it took 24x24mm frames on 35mm film, in special cassettes.... no longer available.

Just Jas
    29 Oct 2011 - 6:58 PM

Get yourself some Agfacolor CT21, CB. "Contrast and grain give an old fashioned rendering" (Calder & bgarrett)

Right up your street! WinkWinkWink

Just Jas
    29 Oct 2011 - 7:07 PM

The four speed version, still fully functional:

1-silette-pronto-sam-0565-en.jpg

kodachrome
    30 Oct 2011 - 8:48 AM

My first camera was a Russian Zenit E, built like a T 34 with a Leica thread. It took very good pictures.

Pete

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.