Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

My Generation

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2013 12:30PM
The black vs right / only one right answer which arises (I believe) from the Greek philosophers and particularly Aristotle plays a major part in how our Western culture sees the world.

I find it most disturbing in so far as it limits options and promotes conflict and one reason I liked the scientific culture was that, although we argued in these terms it was always accepted that the "Facts" were only as good as the data to hand at that time and every "fact" was open to challenge / change. (the most valuable input I got from my Phys Chem Professor was "A theory is only a tool, use it until it breaks, then get a better one" )

Oiur society at large seems incapable of thinking (or unwilling to think) this way and thus we end up with endless dabates about who is right / wrong, who is "U-Turning" on policy (what a useless concept that is) instead of accepting that its quite possible for all parties to be "Right" even if some are more relevant / useful at the present time

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
2 Jan 2013 2:55PM

Quote:I don't think its just restricted to the English, but most of the Western World - certainly those of Anglo-Saxon heritage.

Yes, I agree. We used to debate at school and same thing, given to argue a point of view with which we did not agree. I find as I get older that I am more inclined to intolerance so I make a point of turning the opposite points of view over in my mind.

It's rare not to find myself wrong in some, at least, of my perceptions.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.