Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My Generation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 12:30 PM

The black vs right / only one right answer which arises (I believe) from the Greek philosophers and particularly Aristotle plays a major part in how our Western culture sees the world.

I find it most disturbing in so far as it limits options and promotes conflict and one reason I liked the scientific culture was that, although we argued in these terms it was always accepted that the "Facts" were only as good as the data to hand at that time and every "fact" was open to challenge / change. (the most valuable input I got from my Phys Chem Professor was "A theory is only a tool, use it until it breaks, then get a better one" )

Oiur society at large seems incapable of thinking (or unwilling to think) this way and thus we end up with endless dabates about who is right / wrong, who is "U-Turning" on policy (what a useless concept that is) instead of accepting that its quite possible for all parties to be "Right" even if some are more relevant / useful at the present time

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2013 - 12:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71866 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM

Quote: I don't think its just restricted to the English, but most of the Western World - certainly those of Anglo-Saxon heritage.

Yes, I agree. We used to debate at school and same thing, given to argue a point of view with which we did not agree. I find as I get older that I am more inclined to intolerance so I make a point of turning the opposite points of view over in my mind.

It's rare not to find myself wrong in some, at least, of my perceptions.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.