Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My m4/3 bubble has burst

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChrisV
ChrisV  7822 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 4:59 PM

Well not exactly, but it has deflated slightly.

Why? My plan was to replace my 5DII kit entirely with the new EM1. My Swiss Army knife lens for the 5DII is the 24-105f4L and its 'replacement' is the Oly12-40f2.8 Pro.

Now don't get me wrong - I've never been overly impressed with the Canon lens and always wished I'd waited and saved up a bit longer to get the 24-70 f2.8, but I digress... IMO the Olympus is a much better lens - it's faster, it's sharper, it doesn't vignette and it focuses quicker than a cheetah going down a steep hill on amphetamines.

So, the problem? Did a job on Monday in a gym - wanted full figure[s]/ equipment in the foreground with a defocussed background to both isolate my image and also make sure no-one who hadn't given written permission would be identifiable in the shot. And here we have the issue - if you have to shoot wide and you want a decent amount of subject in shot [so you can't actually be on top of your subject] you can't actually blur the background much at all at f2.8.

I also took a few shots with a G6 teamed with the Oly 45mm f1.8. They were a lot more effective, but logistically they could only be head/torso shots. I unfortunately didn't have my 20mm f1.7 on me - I need to test that out in these sort of situations. I'm also thinking the 17mm f1.8 might be useful for me.

Unfortunately this sort of situation is not that uncommon in my commissions and I was aware this was a limitation of the format. Am I missing a trick? Are the primes going to give me an adequate field of view and sufficient shallow DoF, or am I going to have to resign myself to lugging the bigger camera for certain jobs? (I haven't got shut yet, though I'm rarely using it).

Last Modified By ChrisV at 18 Dec 2013 - 5:00 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Dec 2013 - 4:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 5:39 PM

I don't think you need anyone to confirm your findings. I feel that the right tool for the job is the one you left at home on this occassion.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 18 Dec 2013 - 5:47 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 5:48 PM

The increased DOF of a shorter focal length offset by the wider aperture. I don't think even the 20mm will reverse what you have seen. And if you get close enough with the 20mm to reduce DOF you risk the distortion seen with wide angle lenses.

I think you have experienced the limitations the naysayers shout about - and why many trolls criticised professionals like McGillicuddy when they jumped ship. Proper tools for the job you want to do...

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 5:55 PM

With smaller sensors, smaller apertures are required to blur out of focus areas, this i know. What i don't know if is there is a graph that plots equivalent apertures sensor sizes - is there one?

e.g: 35mm sensor with f4 lens = m4/3 @ f1.4 does anyone know if such comparisons can be made, or could they only be made at specific focal lengths? (edit - as Mike says above)

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 18 Dec 2013 - 5:56 PM
Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 8869 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 6:57 PM

This has a DOF and sensor size calculator part way through the article.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023196 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 7:32 PM

I have one question.
Just how big are these DSLRs that people are lugging around? Do they need wheels or will a pulley system make life easier?

MichaelMelb_AU
18 Dec 2013 - 7:32 PM

As you may remember I was careful not to blow the bubble. Still bought brand new Olympus PM1 together with a flash unit and 14-42 lens at irresistible bargain price. Nice replacement for my Canon IXUS - except won't focus as close for macro, does not turn the frame automatically and needs the screen shaded where IXUS would do OK. However, color and resolution wise it is better, much better - but not a DSLR, seriously "outdated" as compared to it Canon 10D blows it out the water with colour and EOS550D with resolution. Maybe Olympus OM-D in it's latest incarnation is better - so EOS70D is. And yes, lens for M4/3 are incredibly expensive (don't know if they are more sophisticated or it is just a trend thing). To get the same effect as in Canon DSLR one need to pay more for mid-range (quality and price wise) lens that they would do with an "entry level" DSLR.
Get me right though - this is not M4/3 vs DSLR post , I managed develop some liking to this new format - as much as I like compacts and SLRs too. Horses for courses, and inevitable compromise must meet the purpose.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 18 Dec 2013 - 7:34 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 7:37 PM

Quote: I have one question.
Just how big are these DSLRs that people are lugging around? Do they need wheels or will a pulley system make life easier?

In my case I needed a Porter (but she objected and is now only my lens carrier Grin )

A lot depends on age and physical condition I suspect, I was literally unable to use my shoulders and hands the next day after a shoot with my canon kit whereas I'm OK with the EM-1 and 75-300 after several hours (but I am at the extreme end of physically knackered Tongue )

Dann
Dann  1196 forum posts
18 Dec 2013 - 8:06 PM

(@ Keith: PMSL!!!)Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 8:17 PM

How wide were you shooting, its all swings and roundabout`s, more dof is better than not having enough.

Shallow dof isn`t everything, there are other ways to isolate subjects.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 18 Dec 2013 - 8:19 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014931 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 9:26 PM

I have the 17mm f1.8, and it is now my fav. I don't know if it will do the job for you though. I used it at my grandchild's Christmas concert yesterday and was very pleased with the results, but f4 was the widest aperture I used. Very fast focus in a dimly lit auditorium.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2013 - 9:36 PM

The problems don`t lay with the equipment Denny.

Robert_Malcolm
18 Dec 2013 - 10:16 PM

Quote: I have one question.

Last time I did Ludlow food festival my kit weighed 14kg (although my video tripod weighs 7kg)

Smile

Quote: With smaller sensors, smaller apertures are required to blur out of focus areas, this i know. What i don't know if is there is a graph that plots equivalent apertures sensor sizes - is there one?

e.g: 35mm sensor with f4 lens = m4/3 @ f1.4 does anyone know if such comparisons can be made, or could they only be made at specific focal lengths? (edit - as Mike says above)

Wider apertures Jack, just smaller numbers.

ChrisV
18 Dec 2013 - 10:50 PM

Quote: The problems don`t lay with the equipment Denny.

As I said, if anyone has any practical advice on how to overcome this difficulty, it will be gratefully received. Don't be cryptic, now.

ChrisV
18 Dec 2013 - 10:59 PM

As for weight, my 5DII, 24-105, 70-200 and Canon 580EXII is double the weight of an EM1, G6, Metz 58, zooms covering the same FoV plus a couple of primes.

I'm neither particularly aged, nor frail, but I do appreciate the difference particularly after a few hours, let alone weeks and months of toting.

I have zero interest in allegiance to brands and formats - I just want the most practical solutions to my needs. I'm old enough to swallow the pill that one thing won't cover all my desires, much as I might wish for it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.