Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My new D7000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2012 - 9:30 AM

Hi everyone iam new to this site but it seems very friendly and informative.Iam struggling a wee bit with my new Niklon D7000 all my photos on manual mode seem underexposed i did have it set to -0.3 ev because that seemed to be the general consensus , have now changed to 0 ev.Also the images are not the sharpest in camera sharpening set to 6 but i feel i need to overly sharpen most with the nikon software ! Iam using a 50mm f1.8 lens because it got rave reviews and was cheap.Do you think i should alter the in camera settings for contrast brightness etc they are all set at zero ? One more question would it make any difference shooting in raw to the exposure problem as opposed to JPEG dont really understand what raw is to be honest.Sorry for all my ramblings/questions. Thanks
    Rod

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jul 2012 - 9:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    18 Jul 2012 - 10:21 AM

Lots of things here:

1. The D7000 is a great camera.

2. Why are you shooting in Manual? If you are a beginner with a brand new camera, I would suggest shooting in P until you get the hang of the camera. Then, when you start thinking about exposure a bit more, experiment with S and A depending upon the type of shot you are taking. Only when you are thoroughly familiar with the camera and confident in your abilities, move to M.

3. The auto-focus on the D7000 is good and should provide sharp focus in most situations. The most common cause of poor sharpness is camera shake - generally because the user cannot hold the camera steady enough for the shutter speed being used. With your 50mm lens, don't hand-hold with shutter speeds slower than 1/100th sec. Use a tripod or other support if you need/want slower shutter speeds.

4. Are you familiar with the inter-relationship between aperture and depth-of-field? It may be (especially if you are using manual) that you are selecting a wide aperture (low f-number) and only getting a very restricted portion of the scene in focus.

Hope that helps a wee bit - but do come back with any more specific questions.

Edit: Sorry, didn't answer your Raw question. Taking photographs in Raw means that what the camera gives you is a file containing all of the data captured by the sensor when you made the exposure. You can then adjust it afterwards in what is erroneously called "post=processing". Basically it gives you a lot more scope (and a certain margin of error in exposure) than Jpegs which include some processing in the camera. However shooting in Raw will only allow you to compensate for exposure errors to a limited extent and will not help at all with poor focussing or camera shake. What you can do with the D7000 is shoot in "Raw and Jpeg" where you will get a copy of each photo in both formats.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 18 Jul 2012 - 10:27 AM
    widtink
    18 Jul 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks alot the reason iam on manual is to get to know the camera i dont see the point of using such a decent camera on auto ie just point and shoot. I do try to keep shutter speed above 1/100 yes iam aware of dof and aperature which is one of the reasons iam a wee bit confused/dissapointed with most of the images i have taken. If it stops raining i will go out and use auto or one of the priority modes and compare ! Thanks for the comments and advice this site is brilliant for this type of dialogue.Cheers
    Rod

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53591 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2012 - 11:02 AM

Your last shot - http://www.ephotozine.com/user/widtink-206272/gallery/photo/leaning-tower-of-pea... looks excellently sharp with a nice shallow DOF.
    The lens you used was at F1.8, to get even sharper shots step it down to f8 - f11. shutter speed will drop from 1/4000sec.
    Also don't worry too much about increasing the ISO from 100 to 200, 400 or even 800 for shots like this.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 18 Jul 2012 - 11:02 AM
    widtink
    18 Jul 2012 - 11:42 AM

cheers that was sharpened to to the max by the software i might expt with iso there are alot of variables eh. The first few times iwas out with the camera i didnt notice that somehow i had set the iso to 5000 ! This definately affected the quality of the images lol set back to 100 Grin

widtink
    18 Jul 2012 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the advice JackAllTog will keep in mind had a quick look at your portfolio stunning ! really like some of the photos of the indian dancers beautiful

widtink
    18 Jul 2012 - 12:24 PM

update not been out yet its still pouring doon Sad

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jul 2012 - 1:05 PM

Some nice shots all above advice is good.
    Next step get a fast 600mm Im told you can get some great shots this time of year of the "Haggis Rut"Wink

Deanooo
    Deanooo  2 Wales
    18 Jul 2012 - 1:52 PM

just watch out for the beaks on those haggis, their sharp as hell in the summer months

widtink
    18 Jul 2012 - 2:09 PM

Dinnae tell the wife mair money !!!! Us Scots urnae afraid o the Haggis they only go fur sassenachs lol. Seriously though next thing to buy is a wide angle lens maybe Nikon 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 need to be able to get the camera under control first though.Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.