Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My PC - hacked!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ckristoff
ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
14 Sep 2008 - 2:39 PM

Hello friends,

can anyone help me please? I believe my PC has been hacked!! Sad

Since late Friday night, I've been feeling like a zombie. My father is back in hospital, with heart failure and suspected kidney failure. He had this problem a year ago.

Yesterday morning after a few hours sleep, I go on internet, with my brain apparently in standby mode. I was simply surfing, using Google when suddenly, it appears I was being attacked by a virus and for some reason, ignored the problem.

When I tried to log off the 'net, wanting to shut down PC, I was looking at a red screen with a strange round symbol, with a message " YOUR PRIVACY IS IN DANGER "

and a button saying " DOWNLOAD PRIVACY PROTECTION SOFTWARE NOW ", which I did not do!

Instead of immediately unplugging the PC, I ran a virus scan, during which, a bunch of boxes appeared, needing me to click on them, some wanting to access an evil website, which my virus-checker, NOD 32 kept denying access to.

Later I discover my C:/ drive is no longer shown on the My Computer screen, nor can I access Programs.

Seems like my PC is up the shute! Advice please? Is this repairable? Or do I face my wife's wrath, needing a new PC? Also, would my home insurance cover this?

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow. I'm currently using my Mum's PC.

FraNK.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2008 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2008 - 2:46 PM

Frank, I had precisely this virus this week on my laptop. It took a IT expert most of a day to remove it. keep running your resident virus scanner and download any latest updates to it. It is doing the rounds I'm afraid and you may need to seek expert help and wipe your drive.

Sorry not to be of much help but I do sympathise with your predicament, particularly at such a difficult time.
Ben

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ckristoff
14 Sep 2008 - 2:54 PM

Scutter,

thanks for your quick reply!

So, it's ok to just leave the PC on with the virus checker running?

Thank you so much for your kind comment. My mother was told in the early hours of Saturday, that my father's life was in danger. So far he is comfortable, having been moved to Morriston hospital in Swansea.

Frank.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Sep 2008 - 3:03 PM

use XP System Restore to restore your pc to say, couple of days before the virus attacked you pc

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2008 - 3:04 PM

Frank, my tame IT expert got me to run a full virus scan twice but he also fiddled about with the registry files remotely (beyond my ken I'm afraid). He finally said that it had stumped him and I would have to send my machine to him to have the drive wiped. After he had given up I did a system restore to a date when I knew it was working. All seems OK now.

I don't know what he did (or what I did really) but I am now paranoid and doing a full scan on a daily basis and AVG has not found anything but a few tracking cookies.

The only positive message is that it is fixable without nuking the whole drive!

My thoughts are with you Smile
Ben

Chrism8
Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2008 - 3:04 PM

Sorry to read about your Fathers illness, in terms of your PC's health, when you have the chance, google for " Zone Alarm " and see if it'll work for you, does for me. Perhaps also look at AVG anti-virus protection. May also be worth disconnecting from the web to allow you to sort the problems.

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 14 Sep 2008 - 3:06 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
EDWARDPARRISH
14 Sep 2008 - 3:16 PM

Apparently theres a rather clever virus on the rounds that arrives in an email from a regular sender to you. It works like so. On arriving in your machine sends an email to all of your contact names just saying hello. When they open their email the very freindly virus formats their c drive before they know what happend. Its preferd recent trick is to send a halmark card to your freinds. If you recieve one DONT open it or you may lose everything.

ckristoff
14 Sep 2008 - 3:24 PM

Friends,

thank you so much for all your suggestions, really appreciated.

XP has a firewall, is it any good?

I used to have AVG, is it still free? If I download again, would it be compatible with my NOD 32?

Sorry, I'm a clueless computer user.

Frank.

Chrism8
14 Sep 2008 - 3:33 PM

[quote] XP has a firewall, is it any good? quote]

imho No

[quote]I used to have AVG, is it still free? If I download again, would it be compatible with my NOD 32? quote]

Still free, don't understand NOD 32 ??

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 14 Sep 2008 - 3:33 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ckristoff
14 Sep 2008 - 3:37 PM

Thanks Chris,

NOD 32, is an anti-virus checker from a company called ESET.

Frank.

Chrism8
14 Sep 2008 - 3:38 PM

Frank, personally I'd rec u go with AVG, updates daily and I've found it very good.

Chris

User_Removed
14 Sep 2008 - 5:48 PM

Nod32 is good. Stick with it is my advice. Take a look at Prevx2 - it is also good. Download their free version - it will notify of specific attacks with the free version - buying it is very cost effective. I run Nod32 and Prevx side-by-side without problems. Add Spybot Search & Destroy and you're done...

As for a Firewall - google for Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. Forget Mr Gates' 'offering' - it's c**p.

If you are accessing the WWW via a router then it will have a firewall by default. No harm in backing it up with a software version - especially for controlling outbound traffic.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Sep 2008 - 5:49 PM
Kris_Dutson
14 Sep 2008 - 6:43 PM

I'll add Kaspersky to the mix as well. It's served me well over the years.

Quote: Kids are fond of clicking on anything that tells them to download it

That's why my kids have their own laptop and aren't allowed anywhere near my PC. It's why I also use a laptop for general surfing and leave my 'photo' pc for just that; photo work.

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 14 Sep 2008 - 6:46 PM
User_Removed
14 Sep 2008 - 7:04 PM

Quote: Even when confronted with known malware they all fail miserably

PMSL..

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2008 - 7:34 PM

It came as no surprise that Prevx was not included in the AV comparisons
It is not that well known amongst the masses because it is aimed at commercial enterprises.
However they do offer(for a small fee) their software to us all

You know it makes sense

Adrian

PS Just had to give it a plug,Mike

Last Modified By tomcat at 14 Sep 2008 - 7:35 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.