Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My reviewed site

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    puertouk
    puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2012 - 4:31 PM

Hi everyone, I've spent quite some time now juggling things around on my web site and would like some feedback from the horses mouth, so-to-speak. Any constructive comments are most welcome, as I am somewhat self critical that it always seems to be missing something. Thanks for the input
    Stephen

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Oct 2012 - 4:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

Stephen,

Had a quick look, here's some constructive comments (I hope):

- Multiple spelling mistakes across several pages
    - Not enough info on locations visited
    - Not enough info on times spent where taking what
    - I personally don't care for your processing technique, do you HDR everything??
    - The testimonials page font is too small to read
    - Some examples on TPT font clashing with the line above
    - Would suggest some better info on clothing be given, rather than just pictures!
    - I would dump several images from your Gallery1 - it must be very TPT specific
    - No pics of your transport vehicles (very important we found!)

I'm no expert, but I would also say that the whole site just looks a bit 1990's - the fonts, layouts, different fonts used on different pages etc. Personally I would redo the whole site - take a look at what other tour companies are doing and get ideas from them. It could look a whole lot more professional.

Was in Tenerife over the last 2 weeks and visited Tiede, Garachico and Masca while we were there - stunning location, but that drive was murder!!

Andy

Jestertheclown
    10 Oct 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi Stephen,
    Speaking as a compositor, which is my trade, a qualified proofreader, which I still sometimes do and a teaching assistant, your site as Andy says, really does need some help.
    Grammatically it's poor and it needs to be absolutely perfect.
    The layout of the pages is erratic, to say the least. You need to decide whether you want the headings to be centred or ranged and keep them all in the same format. Also, main ones should all be the same size, sub-headings should be one, or perhaps two, sizes smaller but make sure they're all the same.
    The existing layout of the pages, everything centralised below a photograph is really basic stuff. Vary the size and orientation of the images. I know they have to be large enough to portray something but you could include some portraits and allow the text to wrap around them.
    Likewise the text. Personally, I'd justify it, without hyphenation; that way it looks more professional, if that's the right word.
    The pages aren't particularly wide so you need to keep the amount of text (the number of words you use) to a minimum to avoid having to keep scrolling down. As it is, you're having to use a very small typesize just to fit it in. Abbreviate the text and you definitely need to increase its size.
    The 'typeface,' to use the correct term, or 'font,' as is used nowadays (the two have completely different meanings) isn't really suitable.
    You'd be better off using a 'sans-serif,' I favour 'Verdana' or 'Lucida' (anything but Arial!) which will be much easier to read and is easier on the eye overall.
    As for the images themselves, Andy asks what you do to them; they do look very processed. Personally, I'd use images that reflect what the punters might go home with. In other words, no HDRs or any manipulation other than the obvious very basic processing.
    I'd say that Andy's dead right when he suggests rebuilding the entire site.
    I don't know if you used or kept a manuscript when you built the site but if you didn't, I suggest that you print the pages, so that you have the bones of what to put back in and while you're redesigning, get someone who knows what they're doing to proof read them and make up the pages for you.

And that, very very briefly, is that!

Hope that helps.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 10 Oct 2012 - 10:45 PM
    KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    11 Oct 2012 - 12:10 AM

Now that looks like a couple of chunks of words of wisdom...! Speaking as a mere browsing type person/punter there's little irritates me more than poor grammar and spelling on an English language web page/site. At the first glitch, I'm irritated, if it happens again I'm away somewhere else... Rightly or wrongly it strikes me as unprofessional... But as for pictures and layout I'll leave that to cleverer folk than me.. Smile

scottishphototours

I did a course about 8 years ago and the guy said the biggest thing that puts people off a website was spelling mistakes, so it's a very important aspect!

keithh
    keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 3:24 PM

I'll add that many pages feel as though you've clicked through to a seperate site and there just isn't enough on the site to make me want to go to Tenerife. There needs to be more info and photo's of what the punter might expect.

You also say on one page that you WILL see the milky way and on another YOU MIGHT.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 3:41 PM

Hi Stephen

I agree with the comments above. It looks as if you have developed this site the hard way but there is no need to do that these days. There are lots of relatively easy ways to develop your own site, including Wordpress and Joomla.

If you are interested, I have just redeveloped my holiday apartment website using Joomla, you can get to it via my profile. Take a look; I'm not saying it is perfect but it will give you an idea of the type of things you can do and also the amount of information you should be looking to provide.

In addition to making your site attractive to potential customers, content is king when it comes to search engines. The more information you can put on the more chance there is that a) search engines will list you and b) people will actually stop to read when they find your site. The other thing to remember is that not all the information needs to be targeted at advertising your services. General information about Tenerife, its history, etc is all good.

Hope this helps. If you want information about Joomla there is a massive community on the web, or you can PM me with any specific questions.

Ian

User_Removed
    11 Oct 2012 - 5:22 PM

Get a professional copywriter to brush up the wording for you or, at least, employ a professional proofreader to check and correct it. Then, once you are satisfied with the text, either employ a professional web-designer or use a decent template to bring it up-to-date in design terms.

Just as a suggestion of the standard you might want to aim for, have a look at the website of Authentic Adventures who operate in a similar field.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 12 Oct 2012 - 8:43 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.