Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

My website: Hoping someone might buy something one day!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul_Iddon
    22 Jan 2009 - 8:58 PM

Feel free to have a look at my website.

I am just an enthusuast and don't expect to really make money from photography (my gear don't produce good enough quality and sizes for most stock libraries requirements) but I hope to maybe sell a few a year if only to cover the Photium's costs!!!

I use "Photium" as my host (well recommended) but I would appreciate any feedback you care to give. I would likely use feedback in the site guestbook if you buy something! Smile

Feel free to go see.

www.pauliddon.co.uk

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Last Modified By Paul_Iddon at 22 Jan 2009 - 8:59 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jan 2009 - 8:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hugeknot
    Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2009 - 9:40 PM

Thanks Paul, it is a very nice website with some good quality work. There is no reason why you shouldn't sell some work.

When I started photography, I came across a site that estimates that only about 1% of a photographer's sales will come from 'online sales'. Maybe someone has first hand experience of this??

Personally I make just enough to pay for my hosting with my website.

If I were you I would take my stuff out and sell it face to face. You can sell more in one day than a year on the web.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    wrinkles
    wrinkles e2 Member 5346 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
    23 Jan 2009 - 11:21 AM

Very nice work Paul,if you can get local outlets such as fairs etc you will find you get lots of interest.
    I have given a local gallery the use of some mono work ,and it does sell.

rebal
    rebal  10446 forum posts England
    23 Jan 2009 - 11:55 AM

Some really nice photographs I love taking pictures in the Dales and North Yorkshire.

maggie9
    maggie9  545 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2009 - 12:41 PM

hi Pual,
    a very enjoyable website to look through Smile the only thing i found was that the red text was a little harsh on my eyes (but thats maybe just me)
    some really good photos, great variety of subject interest (i have a long way to go!)

kind regards
    maggie

focused-photography

Looks great your website.

Carsten

Richsr
    Richsr e2 Member 790 forum postsRichsr vcard England207 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2009 - 2:00 PM

Looks good to me - you have some good shots uploaded.
    Out of interest how long did it take you to setup?
    Richard.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104000 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2009 - 2:09 PM

looking good Paul Smile.....I would only comment that either your banner is too large or your revolving image box is? I can't see both without scrolling down

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2009 - 2:16 PM

Again, I find the red text too much on the eye. Possibly on the front page, put more about yourself than about selling, you can put that in a different area.

Paul_Iddon
    24 Jan 2009 - 8:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will consider all that has been said.

Hope to get more still.. Smile

Paul.

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    24 Jan 2009 - 9:06 AM

Fairs maybe the way to go for some, but of course, it does involve being there all day, or al least someone has to be, and paying for your pitch. Plus you do have to get a fair represetative sample mounted, possibly framed etc, and that ain't cheap. So it involves time and money, but instead of you hoping that people will come to your site, you take your product to them. They are very different approaches, and certainly if you have the time, fairs could be something else to look at. From looking at our local market where 2 people sit all day hoping to sell their shots, it seems a lot of time hanging around for very little income. But it depends on the quality of the work and the pitch, I suppose.

Last Modified By agoreira at 24 Jan 2009 - 9:06 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Paul_Iddon
    24 Jan 2009 - 9:02 PM

Keep the info coming.

I have changed a couple of things on the look of the site, colours, nothing drastic.

Thanks all.

Paul.

francisr
    francisr  10165 forum posts
    3 Feb 2009 - 8:40 PM

I Paul,

Some feedback on your website if you want to sell anything through it. In common with many of us Brits, your opening gambit is what you are not ie.

"I am not here to make a living from my work."

The vast majority of people who don't know you visiting your website for the first time will not get past this sentence. Why should they?

You have some very attractive images. So tell us what will turn us on - suggested opening gambit - " If unusual images of flowers interest you or abstracts that demand a second glance, then you are in the right place." You get the drift.

I would also strip out everything that you do not consider to be absolutely A1. Second rate images will dilute the overall impression of the quality of your work.

As HugeKnot say pedelling your stuff face to face, in the flesh so to speak will also help to drive people to your site.

Not sure why you are price discriminating for overseas buyers - makes potential UK customer have to pay a premium.

It's not all bad - you have some splendid images you should be proud of. Hope this helps.

Regards Francis

Stockczech
    4 Feb 2009 - 8:55 AM

Hi Paul,
    I would echo what Francis has said.

What is the purpose of your website?

Is it to showcase your excellent photography? If so, you have succeeded. There are some great shots that you can be proud of, and those who look at the images might well be interested in who you are, where you live and what equipment you use.

Or is the website aimed at selling your work? If so, you should be more positive on your home page, not "I am not here to make a living from my work" but rather "photography is a passion that I'd like to share with you" - or similar. Likewise, your equipment list is pointless - anyone buying an image from you couldn't care less what camera you used, they are only interested in the finished result.

HTH,
    Sheila

aftertherain
    4 Feb 2009 - 9:26 AM

I find outlets are more than happy to take work on a 'Sale or Return' basis.
    Have your business cards tucked into the corner of the frame where people can easily see the details.

Before Christmas the local National Parks outlet put an embargo on buying in stock as they'd exceeded their budget.
    They rang me and asked me to fill the gaps which I was more than happy to do, it proved well worth my initial outlay.

Try local tea rooms, estate agents, building societies - some pubs where they serve food can be good but if they do a lot of chips be aware that your goods may smell.

Our local daily paper shows a picture each day of the local area - you don't get paid but you do get an increase in website 'hits' so I look on it as a free advert.

I'm sure you'll do well.
    Merl

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.