Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nas Boxes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315199 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 9:19 PM

Any recommendations.

I`ll be looking at getting one once I`ve finished building my new PC.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Oct 2013 - 9:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 12:26 AM

Synology seem to make a decent unit Paul, a mate of mine who's an IT professional swears by them.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315199 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 12:33 AM

Thanks, its just there are so many to choose between Smile

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
22 Oct 2013 - 8:04 AM

Synology regularly come top in the NAS category in PC Pro magazine, although I've never used one myself.
I had a Seagate Black Armor 110, which I got on fine with, it just depends on what you want to do with it, and whether the installed software will allow you to do it. The Seagate worked fine as a network drive and FTP server, but I could never get the media service to work.

Eventually I bought myself an HP Microserver, which was 189 and HP were doing a 100 cashback offer... I stuck some extra 2TB disks in there and I can control what software I use (there's a nifty thing called FreeNAS that you could use, but I use Windows Home Server). I can run other stuff on there as well as my FTP and media servers (eg. webcam monitoring software).

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 Oct 2013 - 9:41 AM

I have been using Seagate as well for a few years without complaint - but I couldn't honestly say how it compares with any other make..

thewilliam
22 Oct 2013 - 10:34 AM

Many NAS boxes use a non-standard format for the stored data, even when the RAID mode is a simple mirror. This might complicate data recovery in the event of a major failure.

Paul Morgan
22 Oct 2013 - 5:07 PM

Quote: Synology regularly come top in the NAS category in PC Pro magazine, although I've never used one myself.
I had a Seagate Black Armor 110, which I got on fine with, it just depends on what you want to do with it, and whether the installed software will allow you to do it. The Seagate worked fine as a network drive and FTP server, but I could never get the media service to work.

Eventually I bought myself an HP Microserver, which was 189 and HP were doing a 100 cashback offer... I stuck some extra 2TB disks in there and I can control what software I use (there's a nifty thing called FreeNAS that you could use, but I use Windows Home Server). I can run other stuff on there as well as my FTP and media servers (eg. webcam monitoring software).

Thanks up until now I have just been using a spare external hard drive connected to my router but its not all that great, it picks and chooses when it wants to work properly Smile

Someone suggested that since I`m building my own PC this time around to simply get a few extra drives and set up a rad but its not something I really want to do.

A Nas seems the proper and most useful way to go, I notice you can save quite a bit buying just the empty boxes and adding my own drives.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 22 Oct 2013 - 5:08 PM
Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
23 Oct 2013 - 9:21 AM

yeah just listened to a glowing review of the synology disk station, but it's dam pricey. I use a HP N40L proliant, but with this you need add server software. But if you are building a new PC why not re-purpose you're old system and turn that into a NAS.

Last Modified By Britman at 23 Oct 2013 - 9:24 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 - 9:44 AM

HP Microserver? - One of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.Xhp+mic...

They were 150 odd new with cashback - Google you'll find lots about them.

If you have an old copy of Windows stick that on, or try FreeNAS

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
23 Oct 2013 - 10:22 AM

I use an HP ProLiant N54L, which also runs Apache and lets me test my website dev stuff on....

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 11:48 AM

I've been using a Synology DS413 for nearly a year now. It's a great bit of kit. Reliably sits there doing it's stuff. Primarily I use it as a back up server preferring faster thunderbolt disks connected to my main machine for file storage. I also use it for backing up to Crashplan, as a movie server, a minecraft server, time machine and cloud server. There's a bunch of mobile apps and you can use synologies ip service so you have a fixed address for accessing remotely. It's got a lovely built in download station application, so I download directly to the NAS and then stuff is available to any machine connected. You can also direct downloads from the mobile apps so you can kick of downloads when you're out and their ready when you get home. There's a bunch of apps I don't use like Glacier for backup to Amazon Glacier servers, Audio streaming, itunes integration, dozens of web, wiki, blogging servers etc.

I bought an empty box and then filled it with my choice of hard drives. It's got four bays, so I have two pairs of mirrored disks.

Paul Morgan
23 Oct 2013 - 2:02 PM

Quote: But if you are building a new PC why not re-purpose you're old system and turn that into a NAS

Yeh I could, I have plenty of spare parts, I recently stripped two old PC`s, but I`m going to have this dell going spare once I`ve finished my build.

But do I want all the bulk sitting around, ready built Nas units are tiny in comparison and consume very little in electricity.

I`m trying to avoid getting cheap parts for my build so its going to take me a few more months before I have all the necessary parts.

Its slow progress buying one or two parts a month Smile

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 - 11:49 PM

Electricity is worth considering - roughly for a device on 24x7, your looking at a per watt per year - so a 60W bulb on all the time will cost you 60
A NAS may take say 30w, less if drives power down when not being used, whereas an old Pentium 4 might use 120w.

Over 5 years, that's quite a saving, enough to justify new hardware.
And that was before all this news this week about %%%% price increases on utilities.

Paul Morgan
24 Oct 2013 - 7:21 PM

Quote: Electricity is worth considering - roughly for a device on 24x7, your looking at a per watt per year - so a 60W bulb on all the time will cost you 60

Yes it certainly is, I believe some of these Nas boxes consume no more than 30 watts, one heck of a lot less than using a PC in its place.

Its also the space, the PC I`m in the process of building will be about half the size of what I am currently using so adding a nice little nas box makes a lot of sense.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111538 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 8:30 PM

I purchased the Western Digital 'My Cloud' a few weeks ago. Simple set up and the whole family are using it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.