Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nasty sneaky scam.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    25 Apr 2013 - 11:05 AM

I recently received the following:

Good Morning,
    This is ********... I am writing this with tears in my eyes, I am sorry to bring you this sad and unexpected news but, i had to send this message to you, due to an unforeseen circumstance that I encountered. A*******, B******* and I made a short trip to Manila and unfortunately for us, we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily we still have our passports with us, ******** got beaten up by the muggers because he tried to protect us at the incident, he couldn't walk well due to a Severe pain on his left leg, he had to check into an hospital to do an MIR Scan.

I have been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all the bad news is our flight will be leaving in less than 5-hrs from now but we are having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills, I will need your help (LOAN $1,650) financially, I promise to make the refund once we get back home. Please let me know if i can count on you and i need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way i can reach you.

H******* *********,

**************@aol.com

It's a particarly nasty scam as they were on holiday, and the event is plausible.
    It was sent to all family members obviously to get at least one to fall for it.
    I was fooled on the first reading, but then realised that the tone of the e-mail was all wrong, (I am writing this with tears in my eyes!!!) not her style of language, (we've been mugged by some rotten b******, is more her style)
    Several family members received the message, but had the sense to check it out so no-one was caught out, a swift phone call confirmed that everyone was OK and no messages had been sent.

Incidentally the e-mail was correct.

So watch out peeps.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Apr 2013 - 11:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 11:19 AM

Unfortunately this has been doing the rounds for a couple of years, heres a recent article on it, all you can do is like you have keep it in the public eye.

What it does mean tho is that there email account has been hacked so take any action that could put yourself at risk, as any emails on there account to you they will now have the details

http:Stranded Traveler scam

Last Modified By KevSB at 25 Apr 2013 - 11:22 AM
    macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    25 Apr 2013 - 11:28 AM

They have changed their e-mail details, even I don't know them yet. Grin

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 12:08 PM

LOL...Grin That is as old as the hills, It underlines something I have been advising for years " Never Take Anything That Arrives In Your Email Accounts At Face Value " Not never Not Ever, Period.!!!

If for some reason it gets your interest do some exhaustive research before you do anything, Next find a way of contacting any " Mugged " relatives by the old fashioned way " Telephone via landline " Or contact our good old British ( Are they still called that Smile ) Embassy, Though this option is probably a waste of time as they are probably doing something interesting like playing golf or sunbathing etc, Its worth a shot just to see how the other half earn our money.....Grin

It is up to each and everyone one of us who use the internet & associated tech to be one step ahead of the criminal elements, Internet associated crime has been on the increase year on year, It is way past epidemic proportions, Hell! Why mess around taking chances by doing a spot of " Armed Robbery " , When you can sit on your butt and scam the entire planet from the comfort of your own grotto......Wink

Take care Peeps.....Smile

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Apr 2013 - 12:16 PM

Right up there with the Nigerian Prince tale - can't quite believe people still fall for this - and yet they do....

AlanJ
    AlanJ e2 Member 1389 forum postsAlanJ vcard England
    25 Apr 2013 - 1:08 PM

Just a comment in support of our embassies.My son was recently stopped from crossing into Hungary from Croatia because his passport was damaged. They sent him back to Zagreb on the train. I rang ahead to the embassy and got details of where and how he could get a temporary travel document and they couldn't have been more helpful. Better than that; some weeks later he was about to board a flight back to UK from Budepest when the airline (stupidly) decided as he wasn't travelling on the expiry date of his temporary document they would not let him fly!More calls to the embassy in Budepest who made contact with their colleagues in Zagreb to get faxed copies of documents. The lady dealing with the matter even gave me and my son her personal mobile number when she went home in case there were further difficulties. She then rang my son on her way to work the next day and asked him if he wanted her to call in the airport on her way to work (he'd slept at the airport). What a star. First and only contact with any embassy but I was more than impressed and hugely comforted. (He's back in UK now!)

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    25 Apr 2013 - 1:21 PM

Quote: " Never Take Anything That Arrives In Your Email Accounts At Face Value " Not never Not Ever, Period.!!!

...you mean , I might not really have won the Nigerian lottery....that's so unfair, raising my hopes.

MikeA
    MikeA  91150 forum posts England
    25 Apr 2013 - 2:30 PM

How does anyone fall for that load of crap.........??? and if they do, they deserve all they let themselves in for.

I am currently waiting for the $10 million to be sent to my account after sending my details and $300 fee.................

Last Modified By MikeA at 25 Apr 2013 - 2:32 PM
    Eastlands
    Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 2:40 PM

I can't understand all the negativity as I have received over 50 million pounds this year alone, or at least it is enroute to my bank account

scottishphototours

Got this sent to all of my email contacts 2 years ago while on holiday. I had several people contact me (even Epz!) and amongst around 600 contacts I had 1 guy send 200 by credit card, which the credit card company refused to process as they knew it was a scam!...so yeah, well known but scary for those involved none the less.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.