Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

National Service

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 9:00PM
Was mentioned in another thread, feel like its needs it own thread perhaps.

Was it a mistake to do away with National Service, should it be brought back - for both male and females?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
24 Jan 2012 9:17PM

Quote:Was it a mistake to do away with National Service

No
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 9:20PM

One of the main reasons for stopping it was that the country couldn't afford it - I doubt we could afford it now either.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 9:29PM

Quote:No

Unfortunately Paul, you have not quantified whySmile

Quote:One of the main reasons for stopping it was that the country couldn't afford it - I doubt we could afford it now either.

Quite correct.
No point in resurrecting it now
Other countries still have a mandatory 12 month stint, but the employers etc; know that and adjust accordingly
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
24 Jan 2012 9:31PM
No it wasnt a mistake. I wouldnt want my son or daughter to have gone to Iraq or wherever for some ilegitimate war at the whim of somone like Tony Bliar.
cantona43 9 915 4 England
24 Jan 2012 9:38PM
We should fetch it back for persistent offenders then that will sort out the men from the boys, our penal system is obviously laughed at by these no gooders so let them serve their punishment with a stint in the forces then see if they think about reoffending and laughing at the soft system we have.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 9:51PM
If you have NS, it shouldn't be for young people after all they have only just arrived and hardly got anything from the country.
Old folk have had years of benefiting from the country so surely they should be the ones to defend it or give back to it.

National Service for Pensioners sounds reasonable to me.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
24 Jan 2012 9:58PM
well now I'm past the age where national service would be applicable, I'm strangely in favour of it Wink
geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 9:59PM

Quote:If you have NS, it shouldn't be for young people after all they have only just arrived and hardly got anything from the country.
Old folk have had years of benefiting from the country so surely they should be the ones to defend it or give back to it.

National Service for Pensioners sounds reasonable to me.

Oh dear
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 10:03PM
lock guys up treat em like pigs and expect gentlemen to walk out the door at the end mmm nice dream
rob_marshall 3 96 1 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 10:04PM

I think that next year you will be starting a thread entitled "Was it a mistake to do away with National Health Service"
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Jan 2012 10:05PM

Quote:Was it a mistake to do away with National Service, should it be brought back - for both male and females?

Yes.

That said, the differences in technology between 'Then' and 'Now' would (almost) make it impossible to 'enforce' and be 'viable'.

Do we need 'National Service' to 'enlighten' the youth of our Country (as PART of the original concept was envisaged?) - Yes. WITHOUT question.

But as to the effectiveness of the concept in today's Society?

I would seriously question as the whether the costs would deliver the desired result.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
24 Jan 2012 10:05PM

Quote:National Service for Pensioners sounds reasonable to me

Looking at this lot I can`t see why not Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arU1SGhqXZ8
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 10:07PM
ohh you mean dads army whos invadeing
kipperad 3 28
24 Jan 2012 10:09PM
I agree with monster snowman

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.