Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

National Service

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:00 PM

Was mentioned in another thread, feel like its needs it own thread perhaps.

Was it a mistake to do away with National Service, should it be brought back - for both male and females?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jan 2012 - 9:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:17 PM

Quote: Was it a mistake to do away with National Service

No

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014131 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:20 PM

One of the main reasons for stopping it was that the country couldn't afford it - I doubt we could afford it now either.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:29 PM

Quote: No

Unfortunately Paul, you have not quantified whySmile

Quote: One of the main reasons for stopping it was that the country couldn't afford it - I doubt we could afford it now either.

Quite correct.
No point in resurrecting it now
Other countries still have a mandatory 12 month stint, but the employers etc; know that and adjust accordingly

monstersnowman
24 Jan 2012 - 9:31 PM

No it wasnt a mistake. I wouldnt want my son or daughter to have gone to Iraq or wherever for some ilegitimate war at the whim of somone like Tony Bliar.

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 9884 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:38 PM

We should fetch it back for persistent offenders then that will sort out the men from the boys, our penal system is obviously laughed at by these no gooders so let them serve their punishment with a stint in the forces then see if they think about reoffending and laughing at the soft system we have.

Last Modified By cantona43 at 24 Jan 2012 - 9:39 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014131 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:51 PM

If you have NS, it shouldn't be for young people after all they have only just arrived and hardly got anything from the country.
Old folk have had years of benefiting from the country so surely they should be the ones to defend it or give back to it.

National Service for Pensioners sounds reasonable to me.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 9:58 PM

well now I'm past the age where national service would be applicable, I'm strangely in favour of it Wink

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 - 9:59 PM

Quote: If you have NS, it shouldn't be for young people after all they have only just arrived and hardly got anything from the country.
Old folk have had years of benefiting from the country so surely they should be the ones to defend it or give back to it.

National Service for Pensioners sounds reasonable to me.

Oh dear

robthecamman
24 Jan 2012 - 10:03 PM

lock guys up treat em like pigs and expect gentlemen to walk out the door at the end mmm nice dream

rob_marshall
24 Jan 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think that next year you will be starting a thread entitled "Was it a mistake to do away with National Health Service"

User_Removed
24 Jan 2012 - 10:05 PM

Quote: Was it a mistake to do away with National Service, should it be brought back - for both male and females?

Yes.

That said, the differences in technology between 'Then' and 'Now' would (almost) make it impossible to 'enforce' and be 'viable'.

Do we need 'National Service' to 'enlighten' the youth of our Country (as PART of the original concept was envisaged?) - Yes. WITHOUT question.

But as to the effectiveness of the concept in today's Society?

I would seriously question as the whether the costs would deliver the desired result.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Jan 2012 - 10:05 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2012 - 10:05 PM

Quote: National Service for Pensioners sounds reasonable to me

Looking at this lot I can`t see why not Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arU1SGhqXZ8

robthecamman
24 Jan 2012 - 10:07 PM

ohh you mean dads army whos invadeing

kipperad
kipperad  228 forum posts
24 Jan 2012 - 10:09 PM

I agree with monster snowman

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.