Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

National Service

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Graflex
Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well said,Hobbo.
H.(non commisioned officer,1952-54)

Great days,bullshit,training and comradeship..and ice cold water to wash in.
Most today if called up would be,in forces terms,excused boots and be crying for MUM.

Military isn't for the faint hearted,it can be cruel and discipline a shock to the system.The whole idea is to train to kill and defend your country.

I look back with great affection,perhaps I have streak of 'aggression' built in-certainly helped with my career to knock down a few barriers and never take 'no' for an answer.

We are all built different.Now anyone for square bashing at 3 in the morning.Line up here..or else.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2012 - 10:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110238 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 11:15 AM

"Never volunteer for anything" Wink

classcams
classcams  5117 forum posts
5 May 2012 - 2:37 PM

I enjoyed "War hero in my family " last night, Chris Tarrant and his crocodile tears. Also the other "hero" he was a rigger in the RAF, Most probably never heard a shot fired in anger. I remember when I voluntered for the RAF. Opting for a useful job as an engine fitter. The flightless wonder who interviewed me seemed aghast. He said "Surely you owe it to your country to volunteer for aircrew" The odds of me writing this post if I had been stupid enough to volunteer. About 56000 to 1.

andyf3050
andyf3050  1 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 - 7:32 AM

Nearly two years on from when this thread started I'm saddened to say that the National Service bill is working its way through parliament as we speak.

Here have a look at the stage it's at right now!
I have my own views about this, especially with having twin boys who are growing up in a country with pretty much a dictatorship at the helm and I'll do anything in my power to ensure they don't get caught up in any of this.

andyf3050
andyf3050  1 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 - 7:39 AM

I completed ten years of colour service in the Corps of Royal Engineers and REME but I disagree with everyone being potentially forced to engage in this against their will. We are not at war. However, there are young people who have grown up learning that a life on benefits is comfortable and work avoidance is the norm... National Service would be a perfect way of teaching them that they are worthwhile people, they have a lot to contribute and just because their parents have perhaps taught them that work is for losers, they shouldn't lose out on the chance to make something of their lives. Just a thought!

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 8:05 AM

Quote: No it wasnt a mistake. I wouldnt want my son or daughter to have gone to Iraq or wherever for some ilegitimate war at the whim of somone like Tony Bliar.

and there lays the problem, During national service everyone believed it was for the good of the country, not now

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102287 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 8:43 AM

Quote: and there lays the problem, During national service everyone believed it was for the good of the country, not now

That's right: Like andyf3050, I think it could be a good idea to have a National Service where young men and women perhaps do voluntary work are taught discipline and various skills, but joining up for the armed forces is optional.
Welcome to the EPZ forum Andy. I agree with you when you say some young people need to be taught that they are worthwhile. Smile

dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
15 Sep 2013 - 1:23 PM

Quote: I disagree with everyone being potentially forced to engage in this against their will

They wont, as a good percentage of the UK population will be exempt with their excuse. As well all very well know.

Evertonian
15 Sep 2013 - 2:02 PM

I think it should be introduced to help stop the 'yobbo' culture, the only problem with it is that nobody would ever allowed to fore bullets on the range because the 'bangs! would affect somebody's human rights and of course, bullets would eventually be banned altogether because people can get hurt if they manage to hit you. RSMs would not be able to shout in case the decibel rating gets over 80dBA and deafness could ensue....need I go on?

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 2:16 PM

Yes please...

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 2:22 PM

Crime has been falling in all western countries since they stopped National Service, so it seems to me it had little useful effect on crime or bad behaviour apart from to encourage it Wink

RogBrown
RogBrown  73002 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 4:41 PM

Quote: Crime has been falling in all western countries since they stopped National Service

Eh?

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 4:45 PM

Unless you happen to believe what the Daily Mail tells you it has. Overall crime figures are down.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102287 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 6:41 PM

Quote: Unless you happen to believe what the Daily Mail tells you it has. Overall crime figures are down.

What troubles me is how representative are these statistics that show overall crimes is down? Much as it irks me to agree with the Daily Mail, I think they could possibly be right if they think at least some crimes have not been reduced or are indeed on the increase.
Perhaps these statistics merely show how few crimes are being reported or detected: After all, there have been reductions in the police force - and they have too much paperwork or are not on the beat etc..

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2013 - 6:51 PM

Apparently it is a trend all across the western world gcarth, it would be a little strange if they have all cheated on their stats.
24hr news acts as an echo chamber amplifying the amount of crime we perceive yet the long term trend really is falling all over the place.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.