Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Naughty PC World :(

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2011 - 11:11 PM

Trading standards are visiting one of their stores now....

I hadnt seen PS CS5 ANYWHERE for less than about 750.... then in PC World the other day, it was on the shelf for 249.99. With a big white sticker on the box.

I went to the till, they rang it through and said that will be 769.99....

I commented on the advertised price being the price you have to sell at, and they flat refused to sell me the item. I rang trading standards while still in the shop, and they said they had to sell it to me at that price, but they still refused, so TS said they would be investigating the company for misrepresentation of goods for sale....

It would have been cheaper for them to sell it to me at the wrong price than deal with TS.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jan 2011 - 11:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
11 Jan 2011 - 11:20 PM

That is naughty - it's on their website for 613 Smile

Were there other boxes with the same price label ? What's to stop someone sticking a label off another cheaper bit of software onto a CS5 box and taking it to the till ?

BigRick
11 Jan 2011 - 11:26 PM

Quote: That is naughty - it's on their website for 613 Smile

Were there other boxes with the same price label ? What's to stop someone sticking a label off another cheaper bit of software onto a CS5 box and taking it to the till ?

the labels are designed to tear when removed so you cant move them to another product.

BigRick
11 Jan 2011 - 11:26 PM

i just need to get a student card and then i can get it for about 160 Wink

Jestertheclown
11 Jan 2011 - 11:28 PM

Quote: i just need to get a student card and then i can get it for about 160 Wink

Actually, you just need to know someone who's got one.

contemporary dave

Interesting what you say about Trading Standards saying they had to sell it at the shown price. My understanding is that if no payment had been exchanged they don't. I believe in legal terms its known as an Invitation To Treat, which allows sellers to refuse a sale if something is incorrectly priced. If you had paid for the goods and they then demanded more money afterwards, then they would be in the wrong because a binding contract of sale had been established.

bill777
bill777 e2 Member 11163 forum postsbill777 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2011 - 9:59 AM

Yep, Invitation to Treat is the fall back. The contract isn't complete until money changes hands so they can refuse to sell the item if incorrectly priced. We had it a couple of instances during my 20 years of retail. In one case the difference was a couple of quid so we agreed to sell to keep the customer happy but on the other occasion it was two window tickets that had been mismatched to the items they should have been on so we had to decline the "offer" from the customer. Mistakes do happen.

User_Removed
12 Jan 2011 - 10:09 AM

Quote: Interesting what you say about Trading Standards saying they had to sell it at the shown price. My understanding is that if no payment had been exchanged they don't. I believe in legal terms its known as an Invitation To Treat, which allows sellers to refuse a sale if something is incorrectly priced. If you had paid for the goods and they then demanded more money afterwards, then they would be in the wrong because a binding contract of sale had been established.

You are absolutely right. Retailers do not "offer to sell"; prospective purchasers "offer to buy" and the old chestnut of incorrect price labelling being binding on the retailer is just that - an old chestnut and has no legal significance whatsoever. Sounds crazy, I know.

There have been cases of retailers honouring incorrect price labels in the interests of customer goodwill but they are under no legal obligation to do so. I am sure Trading Standards know that.

I think that Adobe student prices have a catch - in that the software has to be registered in the same name as was evidenced for the concessionary purchase. Even then, it might be worth paying 10 to register for a night class just to get a student card.

User_Removed
12 Jan 2011 - 10:12 AM

.... the cheapest legal way of buying non-student CS5 is to download the trial then purchase the full version from Amazon in America (amazon.com, not .co.uk) giving a friend in America as the delivery address. Then all your friend has to do when it arrives is e-mail you the registration key prior to forwarding the actual package to you.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
12 Jan 2011 - 10:30 AM

Quote: .... the cheapest legal way of buying non-student CS5 is to download the trial then purchase the full version from Amazon in America (amazon.com, not .co.uk) giving a friend in America as the delivery address. Then all your friend has to do when it arrives is e-mail you the registration key prior to forwarding the actual package to you.

...which is of course illegal, as you are avoiding paying VAT....

contemporary dave
12 Jan 2011 - 10:48 AM

Sounds like Trading Standards have misled you rather than PC world....

geniehawk
geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
12 Jan 2011 - 12:43 PM

How much do the 2 versions differ, is the student version a shortened version?

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2011 - 12:56 PM

Exactly the same but the student version doesn't work until after 11am.
Smile

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2011 - 1:00 PM

The Student version is exactly the same, just a cheaper licence. The benefit of this to the supplier is that it gets people into the system and more likely to upgrade when they leave academia.

Ian

geniehawk
geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
12 Jan 2011 - 1:00 PM

That suits me fine! Thanks for your reply.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.