Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ND Filters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mondmagu
    mondmagu  474 forum posts Ireland
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:05 PM

Hi all, I am currently thinking of getting an ND Filter system for my gear.I use a Canon 60D and 17-55 f2.8 lens.
    The budget is less than 100 euros(85 sterling approx).I know the popular makes but the diameter of the lens is 77mm which is quite big and am not sure which will give the best results.
    So can anyone recommend a make,do they come in a kit or individual parts and what grade filters will I need.I will be taking both landscape and sunrise/sunset coastal shots.
    Any info appreciated.

Des

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022889 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:13 PM

I'm afraid you'd be lucky to get an adapter and one 3 stop graduated ND filter from any decent supplier at that price. Even the hitech is going to come in at closer to 100 with a holder. wide adaptor and one three stop grad.

mikehit
    mikehit  56287 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:23 PM

You can buy them all separately. I have the same lens and I bought the Lee wide angle adapter, Lee holder and set of three HiTech ND grad filters (100mmx150mm) for 150. They were as a 'kit' from TeamworkPhoto (in London) who were very helpful. I think the straight NDs will be cheaper but even then I think you will be looking at Cokin sets.

If you only want a straight ND filter then you could try a set of screw-on filters, maybe

mondmagu
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:28 PM

Thanks guys,not looking good so far.

Des

mhfore
    mhfore  7 England176 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:30 PM

Hi Des,
    When you say ND filter's do you mean Nd graduated or Nd solids. If you want Nd solid filters then on ebay you can get Nd2, Nd4 and Nd8 screw on filters which are good for longer exp's. The numbers refer to the amount of light that get's through, an Nd2 reduces the light to half, Nd4 a quarter and Nd8 an eighth given you that longer exposure for that creamy look to the water. Nd grads are good if you have some bright sky and as suggetered are coloured to clear and also come in different strenghts. You can mix and match and use more than one at the same time. Des, as for a good make, well you pays your money and makes your choice, there is some really expensive ones but you should be able to pick up a set of Cokin for around 50. I personally have the three Nd solids which I bought new on ebay for 8 (52mm) and I don't have a problem with them.

Martin

NickHaigh
    NickHaigh  2 United Kingdom
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:42 PM

Des, try ebay as martin says. You will definately be able to get a cokin filter holder and a few ND Grads on there for what your wanting to pay.

Nick

NickHaigh
    NickHaigh  2 United Kingdom
    23 Jan 2012 - 3:43 PM

Just one other, thing dont forget you will need an adaptor ring too for each lens if they are different diameters.

ChrisTom
    ChrisTom  672 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Jan 2012 - 4:08 PM

Have a look on (7 day Shop) web site, ND & ND circular adjustable up to 88mm.

Take care.

Chris R.
    I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

seoulsaver
    9 Feb 2012 - 9:24 PM

100 euros is stretching it but you should be able to get the Cokin P Series system: a 77mm adapter ring, the wide angle filter holder and 2-3 filters the ND2 (1 stop), ND4 (2 stops) or the ND8 (3 stops). With that budget Lee and Hitech are out of the question im afraid.

I used them and they are fine with two provisos; 1) when you start stacking them (ie using two or more filters) they produce a colour cast. Keep in mind that the wide angle Cokin filter holder only has one slot anyway. In truth, the strength of the colour cast is also dependent on your camera's sensor and the lens you are using as well but, regardless of that, stacking them will invariably produce some cast;
    2) another common problem is vignetting at wide angles and this is an issue with most brands even the most expensive ones: this is why you need the wide angle holder. Below 12mm my images start to vignette, although this can be corrected during the post processing stage.

I've upgraded to Lee now however.

Last Modified By seoulsaver at 9 Feb 2012 - 9:31 PM
    mondmagu
    10 Feb 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the input guys appreciated.

Des

tottenham
    tottenham  533 forum posts
    14 Feb 2012 - 7:01 PM

you can get a Z-Pro holder from Amazon 43.56/an adapter ring (77mm)from Crooked Imaging for 17.99/standard Hitech resin N D filter from Teamwork for 32.00 the Grads are 43.00.In my humble opinion the Z-Pro holder is better than Lee,s.If you start here you will have a good holder and you can always upgrade your filters later

Last Modified By tottenham at 14 Feb 2012 - 7:03 PM
    User_Removed
    14 Feb 2012 - 7:48 PM

Quote: I'm afraid you'd be lucky to get an adapter and one 3 stop graduated ND filter from any decent supplier at that price. Even the hitech is going to come in at closer to 100 with a holder. wide adaptor and one three stop grad.

Can't agree with that.

I use Chinese "Cokin Clones" from ebay with my Nikon D3s and a variety of lenses with 77mm filter threads. (principally the 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 and 16-35 f/4)

From memory the filter holder and adapter ring will cost about 3 including postage and each filter will be under 10. Because I use them mainly for controlling the sky exposure in landscapes, any aberration is totally undetectable and any colour cast can be easily addressed in Lightroom or ACR. With those, I get superlative, competition-winning results without spending megabucks on expensive rubbish.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Feb 2012 - 7:49 PM
    keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022889 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2012 - 8:01 PM

I've no doubt

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.