Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Need help!! Share your experience please!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lobar
    lobar  2
    29 Dec 2011 - 2:26 PM

Guys, share your experience please!Smile Do you print at home or in copy centers? What is more cheaper?
    recently... i found this video Epson CISS vs original cartridges. I don't know, but it seems to be true. And now I'm thinking about own good small printer.
    Nevertheless, I am afraid to use non-original cartridges. What ca n you say?"

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Dec 2011 - 2:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 2:43 PM

It depends upon how you intend to use your prints. When I printed my own images I used compatible inks from The Ink Factory. I had my printer profiled for these inks and never had any complaints about the quality of my results. I would not however use compatible inks if I was planning to sell the prints, not because of quality issues, just uncertainty over the longevity of the prints.

When I stopped printing so much I found that I was having problems with nozzles blocking, both with original and compatible inks, so I decided to get my prints done by one of the professional printers.

Hope this helps

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 3:04 PM

As Ian said, it depends on what you want.
    If you want good quality gloss or lustre prints at up to 15"x10" then DScolour labs do a super job (used by several of my camera club) at a price you just can't match at home (and their are several others used by EPZ members that get equally good reviews)

If, like me, you enjoy the whole experience of creating and printing images and you want to try different papers as part of that, then home printing is your option. (I did look at getting commercial prints made on my favourite fine art papers at one point but the cost was way above my home printing costs)

Again, if like me, you want to sell the prints you make then my strong advice would be to stick to the manufacturers inks as this is the best way to be confident that customers won't come back with complaints about colour changes / fading in future (again, others here may have different experiences / views?)

(As I have never used 3rd pary inks I can't comment about possible head blocking and other problems I've seen reported on the web over the years)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 29 Dec 2011 - 3:06 PM
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 3:19 PM

Printing Your own enables you to use a vast range of papers where a pro lab will be limited.

As for compatible and genuine inks you will get mixed reports depending on the printer and which compatible inks.

As digicammad says above, if you are selling then it has to be genuine inks.

Dave_Canon
    31 Dec 2011 - 1:14 PM

Printing at near A3 size costs about 3.50 per print (Well known Brand Paper plus Epson ink). It would cost about 1.25 to print using a professional printing service (plus postage though you would spread his cost by printing ten at a time). The video on CISS is very misleading as I have costed using quality CISS such as Lyson and it would take 4 years to be cheaper at the rate I print (about 70 per year). I am sure that if I was printing a lot more, I would use CISS but it is hardly worth the trouble for me. It is probably best to consider CISS at the time you buy a new printer so that probability of failure is lower; it would not pay to have large bottles of CISS ink on the shelf and a dead printer.

Dave

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Dec 2011 - 2:23 PM

Quote: Printing at near A3 size costs about 3.50 per print (Well known Brand Paper plus Epson ink). It would cost about 1.25 to print using a professional printing service (plus postage though you would spread his cost by printing ten at a time). The video on CISS is very misleading as I have costed using quality CISS such as Lyson and it would take 4 years to be cheaper at the rate I print (about 70 per year). I am sure that if I was printing a lot more, I would use CISS but it is hardly worth the trouble for me. It is probably best to consider CISS at the time you buy a new printer so that probability of failure is lower; it would not pay to have large bottles of CISS ink on the shelf and a dead printer.

Dave

And this happens, replaced 4 bottles a few weeks ago and a pack of A3 170 quid and printer stops working next day, In my case its a problem that can be rectified in the new year thanks to advice on here, but its something we dont think about when buying CIS Systems

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.