Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Need help choosing a printer upgrade

pete146uk e2
2 25 1 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 4:50PM
Hi All

I've been using an Epson Stylus Photo R300 for many years and have been very pleased with the photo quality I can get upto A4 on decent photo paper. The time has now come to upgrade it.

I'm not looking to spend more than around 200 but I want to get the best photos I can from the printer. Brand wise, I would consider another Epson or a Canon, but the reviews are so confusing!

I thought I had settled on an Epson Photo PX830 (found one for 150) but they tell me it's been discontinued. Then there is the PX730 but is this as good? Then on here I saw the Canon Pixma iX6550 recommended for photo quality.

My Requirements are:

To be used with Imac with photoshop & lightroom
Not for commercial purposes, just to print at home for albums and frames occasionally
Wireless so I can keep it in a cupboard
I want the best quality photo printing possible for my budget (colour & B&W)

Anything else such as a good scanner, decent text printing, fast speeds etc are just an added bonus. My main consideration is best quality for reasonable up front cost of printer. I will never print directly from memory cards directly through the printer, it will always be via my computer.

I know it works out cheaper to send photos off to a printer, but I quite enjoy having the ability to print photos myself when I wish to.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smile

Finally - does anybody know whether the new Epson Expression range is any good? They seem to be replacing the Stylus range in the shops but I can't find many reviews!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
13 Nov 2012 5:01PM
Pete

Before you choose, look at the price of the ink cartridges for each printer. No good getting a cheap printer only to pay through the nose for ink *cough* lexmark!

Andy
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
13 Nov 2012 5:29PM
I have sung the praises of the Canon IX 6550 in previous forum posts

Ive had it for well over a year now and its a great A3 printer for the money....No whistles...No bells...It Prints...no more no less!!

If you keep an eye out on the internet at various suppliers...Amazon, whsmiths, pc world etc then theres always a deal going on the cartridges ..even canon uk can be very cheap on cartridges as well as the canon photo paper.

Pm me Pete and if you want I can send you a print from it,

Paul
CCullen e2
3 34 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 5:31PM
PC Pro magazine and its website has a good selection of reviews - most importantly they also look at running costs / pence per A4 page etc.
pete146uk e2
2 25 1 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 6:09PM
To be honest, the cartridge costs and price per sheet don't worry me too much. For every day use I am happy with decent copy inks, and can buy originals for 'that special occasion'.

I have many of the review sites for a variety of printers, but they go into every single area (and each site contradicts other reviews). I just want the best photo prints for my initial budget - any other features are just a bonus.

The idea of printing at A3 is a definite plus, but would only be used very rarely by me - I guess the question is:

'Is there a printer which can produce better quality photo prints than the IX6550, at A4 size, for a similar initial printer cost?

Thanks

PS - Iawbert. Thank you very much for this kind offer Smile I will send you a PM.
pete146uk e2
2 25 1 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 9:55PM
Also - can somebody confirm whether the IX6550 wireless?

Thanks
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 12:02AM
It's not, but this didn't stop me getting one. The print quality is excellent. Smile
I recently bought an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 for 200. It's not wireless. Prints up to A3+. I can get 2 sets of compatible inks for 25 from ink-1 and I bought a loose pack of 100 A3 Glossy sheets for 14.50 from Amazon. Printing doesn't come much cheaper than that.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
14 Nov 2012 5:49PM
Buy the Canon IX 6550 its excellent quality plus you can buy a continuous ink system from City inks
pete146uk e2
2 25 1 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 8:57PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have now been officially told that I am not allowed to buy a printer unless it is wireless! This is because I only just convinced my missus to let me have my 27" Imac in the living room - she won't go for the printer as well! Sad

So - I need a printer, with wireless capability, that prints the best quality colour & B&W photos possible, for under 200.

A3, scanner, text print, speed, and any other features are a bonus but really not my main concern - photo quality is what matters. I do not care about printing costs at all Smile

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.