Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

need help re photo usage please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    YorkshireSam
    2 Mar 2010 - 8:05 PM

Ok I've been asked by ry.com in an email if they could use my image25470129z.jpg and their request read :- the image will be used on the cover of an annual report that will be distributed in the UK and US, ( a leading ftse company ) we would need to use the image across all disciplines for an unlimited period, please supply me with costings to use the image.

I asked for help re this in general discussion forum and was pointed to alamy.com which proved to be helpful re pricing for managed rights.

In the meantime I have had a conversation with the company who said I have only till noon tomorrow to act as they will use their option of sending a tog out for a fee of 450 but as they also said that is a risk to them because there is no guarantee of good weather etc and a suitable result.
    I obviously have what they really want and when discussing copyright retention etc it was made apparent that they don't want to see it printed or published anywhere else if they are to use it. a full buyout then ?
    It seems the ball is in my court until 10a.m tomorrow when I need to agree a price., but what ?
    I don't want to rob myself but equally I don't want to lose the deal which lets face it for an amateur like me is the best result to date.

Any realistic figure suggestions would really be appreciated here .

thanks in advance,

Sam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Mar 2010 - 8:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

aftertherain
    2 Mar 2010 - 8:13 PM

I'd guess they've already told you what it's worth to them.......................... 450

ardclinis
    ardclinis  6 Ireland
    2 Mar 2010 - 8:17 PM

Well 650 would buy a new lens and you could go back and take the photo angin at your leisure

saturns
    saturns  951 forum posts
    2 Mar 2010 - 9:04 PM

A buyout would be worth s but the seem to be indicating 450. Do they want use of the image in perpetuity? Advertorial use.? If so I would be asking for a lot more. If they simply don't know how long they want use of the image then you could negotiate an exclusive rolling licence on a yearly basis etc. 450 doesn't seem too bad for a one of use with a biggish print run. At the end of the day, If 450 is the maximum they are offering then you need to clarify the exact use they want, then make an informed decision whether to accept their price or not. There is no right answer.

YorkshireSam
    2 Mar 2010 - 9:09 PM

Hi guys thanks for the comments, it seems they want the image outright , rights and all which suggests as said a higher price than the 450 they could send someone to do it for , weather permitting. Given that they need to print on the 5th doesn't give much opportunity. and so no guarantees.

saturns
    saturns  951 forum posts
    2 Mar 2010 - 9:22 PM

Not sure where the bridge is Sam but as its probably easy to reproduce ie its not unique, in this scenario I would try and negotiate the fee upwards or offer a rolling yearly exclusive licence. They seem to want it quicky so will probably budge on the 450 mentioned.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101471 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2010 - 9:31 PM

450 is quite good in today's market as prices of stock images have come down a lot in the last year.

I think you have to ask yourself how special the image is and could you take it again?
    It's hard to see from the Thumbnail but it just looks like a good commercial shot captured on a nice day that you or someone else could probably go and photograph again. If it was a one off image where all the elements came together, storm clouds, rainbows, a fantastic sunset or lightning above the bridge then it would be a different matter.

because I think you could go and shoot it again I would take their 450.00 and just re-shoot a similar image at a later date.

They have given you a lot of info about how quickly they need the image, because of this there would probably be little time for them to hire another tog and get the image they want so would probably be able to get more if you wanted.

You might be able to get away with exclusive use for five years if you really wanted to use the image again in the future.

Last Modified By Chris_H at 2 Mar 2010 - 9:33 PM
    YorkshireSam
    2 Mar 2010 - 9:44 PM

Thanks Chris and Saturns , the comment re the shot can be taken by me or anyone again when the same conditions apply is exactly what I thought and so yes its no skin off my nose to let it go. Even if i didn't chances are the image could never be needed again anyway so I think ii is easy to let tham have it and as also said a little bit of bargaining should bump that 450 tag up provided I don't get greedy. An earlier forum thread this month was about the sad demise of my d80... this makes things good and some Smile

Cheers again guys.

collywobles
    3 Mar 2010 - 8:26 AM

Let them have it for 500 you are not likely to get a second deal on the image so let them have it. Otherwise it will sit on you PC for eternity. If there was a high chance you will be selling the image over and over again that would be a different story.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.