Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Need recommendation on a Digital Camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    laura42
    laura42  5
    5 Jun 2009 - 2:21 PM

I am new to photography and digital camera's, I am a freelance web developer and my customers are increasingly demanding me to take photographs of their products, so that I can include these pictures on their website, which I design and manage. However I am not getting the quality shots of the image which I am taking with a 4.5 megapixels Sony cyber-shot camera. I was informed by a friend to take good quality picture, I would need to invest on a new digital camera, so I have done some research and come across the following:

Nikon D80 Digital Camera with 18-200mm Lens 10.75 Megapixels, SLR/Professional, 2.5 in. LCD Panel, SD Card, Built-In & External Flash, on a price comparison website please can someone advise me if this is a good camera to purchase and if this would give me good quality picture.

Look forward for your expert advice and feedback.
    Thank Q.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jun 2009 - 2:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 2:29 PM

Hi Laura,

All depends really on what you mean by not getting good shots of their products. Is the lighting wrong ? What are the customer products are you talking about exactly ? A light tent may do the trick without you having to invest in a new camera. What size products are they ? Small or large ?

Simon.

rvanr
    rvanr  1136 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jun 2009 - 2:33 PM

Hi Laura

The camera and lens are fine but lighting & background are more important. Oh somebody else has already replied. It also depends a lot on what products you need to photograph: size of a packet of cigarettes or size of car?

SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 2:45 PM

Laura,

Why not upload a shot as an example for us to see ? For web images you typically don't need mega-resolution kit. Most people who, for instance advertise products on eBay, don't use expensive digital SLR cameras because you can't deal with those kinds of file sizes for web pages. But they probably will use a light tent to light the product.
    Upload a photo and give us an idea of what you are doing.

Simon.

DOGSBODY
    DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 3:42 PM

The Nikon is an excellent camera and the kit lens is known to be very good. An SLR will always have an advantage over a compact or bridge camera due to its versatility and the fact that it has a direct viewfinder which is both bright and is "real time" rather than a recording of the scene. I would recommend a camera such as the Nikon if you intend to do any kind of professional work as it will allow you to grow as your skills increase and the larger sensor will certainly give you better quality images especially in poor light. The main drawback is cost as it will not end with the original camera purchase as you will soon want other lenses, filters and flashguns. Also the learning curve with an SLR can be a bit daunting, but if you accept that is the case I would not hesitate to recommend purchase.
    And that's from a Canon user.
    I wish you all the best in your decision making. Andy

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 3:53 PM

To be honest, for what you are doing I would have thought a decent compact and some lights/backgrounds would be perfectly acceptable.

If you go a dSLR route, can I advise against the D80 and that you instead you get one with Liveview because of the nature of use, and perhaps you should think of getting one with a macro lens, say about 50mm.

Why live view, well it will allow you to work direct from a PC and see real time what you are getting, plus you can zoom in close at set up to check depth of field with the lens stopped down, and you can move the metering spot around, well you can on mine.

So Nikon D90 or D500, Canon 40D or 450D or even 1000D.

croberts
    croberts  102160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 4:23 PM

Why not just pay someone to do the shots when required? You can probably find a local snapper who would be glad of the work.

Just add an additional charge for photography for the site, and use it to pay a photographer who will have their own gear, who'll do the job quickly, and do it right.

Phone round a few locals, and find someone who'll work with you on a regular basis.

zogfield
    zogfield  754 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jun 2009 - 5:09 PM

Hi Laura,

I've done a few product photography jobs so if croberts' suggestion of hiring a photographer appeals to you, PM me.

What area are you based in? What sort of products do you have in mind?

Peter

laura42
    laura42  5
    5 Jun 2009 - 8:27 PM

Thank for all these quick response, I must admin the quality of the responses been posted are excellent.

Hello Zogfield' I am from London, and If I decide not to purchase the digital camera I will contact you for quotes, that is if you live in the same city or near by.

Thank you all.

Last Modified By laura42 at 5 Jun 2009 - 8:32 PM
    Warriorpoet
    6 Jun 2009 - 3:30 AM

I would echo what Strawman says. My o/h has an ebay business and gave up using the suppliers stock photos as she can get far better pictures on my old pentax compact.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.