Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Need some help with Lightroom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 6:52 PM

Quote: Is IPTC basically adding metadata to images rather than keywords?

It's a predefined set of metadata available in the metadata panel:

65-capture.jpg

Quote: Then searching the metadata in smart collections?

Yup, or just searching. A smart collection is really just a saved search.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Nov 2012 - 6:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71897 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 - 7:31 PM

Quote: Is IPTC basically adding metadata to images rather than keywords? Then searching the metadata in smart collections

Yes, it's a sort of combination of the two. It is metadata in that it is stored within the image file itself but it is added by the user rather than the camera. In the early days of digital transmission, the news media photographers (of which I was one) would add a caption in a box on the picture itself. You'd add 10%, white background to the canvas size in Photoshop (1!) and put your caption in there.

IPTC was added so that there was a standard between news media organisations. So a picture taken sent in to, say AP's New York bureau by one of their guys in the field in Rwanda could be sent immediately distributed around the world to AP subscribers with the provenance and details embedded.

Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but the biggest single thing to understand about Lightroom when you start out is that it is a database. Folder structures on your HD mean nothing to it. File names mean nothing to it unless you choose to make them do so. All is keywords, labelling etc.

I put all my stuff in one folder and do all organisation in Lightroom. Let the software do the work.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 7:37 PM

Quote: I put all my stuff in one folder and do all organisation in Lightroom. Let the software do the work.

I let the software do the work, but I let it put stuff in to dated folders.
This makes it much simpler when it comes to making sure backups have worked, makes things easier if you need to split stuff across drives and gives a really quick way to find all the shots taken in the same day/days.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 8:00 PM

I prefer multiple folders by year / date / location.

filestructure.jpg

lobsterboy
19 Nov 2012 - 8:15 PM

Yeah that's kind of similar to me Jeff. Though I go Year>Month>Day and the location goes in the filename.
The reason I included month is that once a month I go through my archiving process on the previous months stuff:
cull the rubbish
add keywords
add star ratings
add titles & captions to all the 5* images
write the metadata back to the files
move the whole month to my archive drive
upload the 5*s to my website.

I find that having a monthly process means that I don't keep looking at old shots wondering if I could do something with them - once they are in the archive folder they hardly ever get touched again.
The archive folder has a different backup regiem to the working folder as it changes much less often.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 19 Nov 2012 - 8:15 PM
User_Removed
19 Nov 2012 - 8:25 PM

Quote: I put all my stuff in one folder and do all organisation in Lightroom. Let the software do the work.
I let the software do the work, but I let it put stuff in to dated folders.
This makes it much simpler when it comes to making sure backups have worked, makes things easier if you need to split stuff across drives and gives a really quick way to find all the shots taken in the same day/days.

Ditto

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.