Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Need some ideas for setting Indoor photography challenges

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Taff
Taff  959 forum posts Scotland
2 Nov 2012 - 2:50 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm pleased to say that over the last few months my wife has taken up DSLR photography and is really enjoying it (Costing me a fortune in gear!). What she really relishes, is when I set her a daily Photography challenge!

She's got a pretty good idea of the basics, in terms of Aperture, Exposure and ISO settings etc, so the tasks I've set her generally focus on those elements.

Example :-

* "Photograph a line of Spice jars in a row so you can see the nearest and furthest spice jar. Take a number of photo's at different apertures to illustrate the difference in depth of field."

She's a smart cookie and produces some good results (She's already better than me!) The problem now, is that I'm running out of ideas for the next challenge - We live in Scotland which means it's going to rain till August 1st 2013, so I could really use your help in coming up with some new 'Indoor' challenges.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Taf.

PS - As I'll probably take all your ideas and claim them to be all my own ideas - Mum's the word as she's an EPZ member herself - ssssshhhhh

Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Nov 2012 - 2:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 3:43 PM

Tricks with mirrors is always a good one, Getting the image without getting yourself etc etc, Dealing with light and reflections, Highlights etc etc.....Smile

Re your missus, You never got this idea from me.....LOL...Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 2 Nov 2012 - 3:44 PM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8955 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 3:49 PM

anything macro is good to keep ya busy during the winter, can be very demanding.

So spend more money and get her a macro lens haha..

Taff
2 Nov 2012 - 3:51 PM

Quote: Anything macro is good to keep ya busy during the winter, can be very demanding.

So spend more money and get her a macro lens haha..

Gareth - Over the last two months I've bought her a 30mm and 100mm Macro - It used to be Handbags and Shoes, now it's lenses!

:-(

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8955 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 3:52 PM

not sure which of the two evils is cheaper lol

KevSB
KevSB  101406 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 3:53 PM

fruit art always looks good Fruit Art

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3776 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 3:59 PM

Light Painting using a small but very powerful LED daylight bright torch is good fun........look in my portfolio for ......"Waiting for the Music" to see what I mean........it makes for good experience with different camera settings too.

Hobbo

Last Modified By hobbo at 2 Nov 2012 - 4:00 PM
Taff
2 Nov 2012 - 4:07 PM

Quote: Fruit art always looks good Fruit Art

Kev - Great, thanks for the idea and the link. I've copied a few of the 'easier' ones for tomorrows challenge!

I knew I could rely on you guys to save my bacon Smile

Taff
2 Nov 2012 - 4:14 PM

Quote: Light Painting using a small but very powerful LED daylight bright torch is good fun........look in my portfolio for ......"Waiting for the Music" to see what I mean........it makes for good experience with different camera settings too.

Hobbo

Quote: Light Painting using a small but very powerful LED daylight bright torch is good fun........look in my portfolio for ......"Waiting for the Music" to see what I mean........it makes for good experience with different camera settings too.

Hobbo

Good idea Hobbo, but possibly one for when she's a bit more advanced?

Your 'Toolbox' pic in your Portfolio has given me an idea though Smile

KevSB
KevSB  101406 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 4:27 PM

The simple ones look very good, Ive never tried them but know a friend who does them with small fruits, they look excelent, few here for insperation

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/shaz4-33507/gallery/photo/bad-hair-day-----9081649http://www.ephotozine.com/user/shaz4-33507/gallery/photo/ripening-------9070768

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/shaz4-33507/gallery/photo/been-shopping------9095429

Last Modified By KevSB at 2 Nov 2012 - 4:33 PM
ether
ether  2 England
2 Nov 2012 - 4:51 PM

Anything with running water is fun and and will keep her busy for hours

Andy_Cundell
2 Nov 2012 - 5:08 PM

What about still water to running water at different shutter speeds?

llareggub
llareggub  3667 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 5:18 PM

May be a pain in the arse in terms of a bit more moolah but playing around with off camera flash is always great for still life stuff, particularly when playing with glass and reflections with bright field and dark field lighting, I'm a long way from getting to grips with it but fascinating to work with Smile

The one I want to really master is the golden glass of beer (lager) against a black background, plus you get to drink the beer Wink

Last Modified By llareggub at 2 Nov 2012 - 5:20 PM
ether
ether  2 England
2 Nov 2012 - 5:56 PM

Quote: The one I want to really master is the golden glass of beer (lager) against a black background, plus you get to drink the beer Wink

A bit like this

Back lit Tomato

Took me a little while figuring out how to do itSad

llareggub
llareggub  3667 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 6:12 PM

Quote: The one I want to really master is the golden glass of beer (lager) against a black background, plus you get to drink the beer Wink

A bit like this

Back lit Tomato

Took me a little while figuring out how to do itSad

Not quite but that is a cool shot...

The golden beer black backround is tough and all to do with reflected golden light behind the glass, the best versions I have of the shot are in books but this is as close as I can find in a short websearch, no my shot so a hyperlink Smile

http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-cold-beer-image2840536

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.