Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Need some tripod advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fishiee
    fishiee  10460 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2007 - 7:07 PM

Hi,

Been looking around for ages for a new tripod and am in the position to actually get one now. Found what to me seem the ideal solution for me:

Velbon Sherpa Pro CF-645 EL

It's lightweight, packs down small which is good for travel, goes down real low which is essential for macro work which is most of what I do.

There is just one snag... my current ong knackered tripod (my dad's old thing from years ago) has a geared centre column which for macro work I really find extremely handy and I don't like the idea of using a non-geared one.

Does anyone know of anything similar to the Velbon but with the added benefit of a geared column? I've had a look around and it seems that most tripods these days don't have a geared column.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Nov 2007 - 7:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
    conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2007 - 7:41 PM

The new Sherpa 250R has a geared column, and several other new, more expensive models as well.

My wife and I looked at them the other day in a shop when she needed a new tripod, but to be honest we weren't impressed with the stability, and she ended up buying a Manfrotto.

fishiee
    30 Nov 2007 - 9:24 PM

Yes I have seen these models before but as you say they are not such high quality. It seems only the cheap models have geared columns... are geared columns supposed to be poor quality? I have only ever used a geared one and can only think that a non-geared one is a lot of messing about and I'd miss a heck of a lot of shots

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2007 - 9:40 PM

Personally I have always found the opposite. I hated the geared column on my older tripods - I found them a nuisance and often unstable. I much prefer the non geared type. Also if Macro is your bag you might find horizontal movement a BIG advantage. You really should check out the new Manfrotto range - they make this very easy. I can also recommend Benbo - but my gosh there heavy beasts!

Adam

fishiee
    30 Nov 2007 - 9:45 PM

but with a non-geared column I would think it quite fiddly to make small height adjustment and would need both hands whereas I can rais the column on my current tripod whilst still looking through the viewfinder

I did have a play with one of the manfrotto tripods with the horizontal option. It seemd a good idea however with my setup (30D + Sigma 150 macro +580EX sometimes) I'd be needing a counterbalance on the other end of the arm I think. So long as the tripod goes very low, is light and folds down relatively compact that is what I want.

fishiee
    30 Nov 2007 - 9:45 PM

I also like the tilt and pan type video head - again one hand adjustment

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2007 - 1:02 AM

I see your argument about height adjustment, however I would still have thought the horizontal adjustment would give more flexability to composition: a zoom option if you will. In regard to counter balance - yes - but this depends on how far you extend the centre column sideways.

I am a little confused by how low a geared column tripod would go - certianly my manfrotto 055 goes nearly to ground level. Because the tripod comes without head you can choose your prefered head type.

Adam

fishiee
    1 Dec 2007 - 9:32 AM

For horizontal adjustment I just move the tripod closer... again I think that is a quicker and potentially less obstructive method. My sigma 150 macro doesn't need to be as close to the subject as a 100mm range macro so getting close is less of an issue. I've never had the option of horizontal adjustment before and never really wished I had it tbh. I often wish I could go lower though!

Good point about if a geared column can go low. mine can't, and I am not sure if the geared column tripods I have seen (which are generally the cheap, not very good looking ones) have a splitable column to go low.

Definitely I want one without a head so I can fit whichever one (or ones!) I like.

fishiee
    1 Dec 2007 - 10:53 AM

Ok, now the more I investigate the more I think that all geared column tripods don't go down very low so would be no advantage to me. therefore can anyone with one of the manfrotto pro tripods (055 or 190) with the verticle/horizontal flippy column things go down to ground level or would I need to go for the non-pro models where you can totally remove the column?

I did have a play with a 190pro I think at Park Cameras and it didn't look like it would go down low (ie the column didn't split from memory).

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    1 Dec 2007 - 12:25 PM

Quote: one of the manfrotto pro tripods (055 or 190) with the verticle/horizontal flippy column things go down to ground level

I have the 190xprob with a 322RC head. With the legs in the lowest evenly-locked position, the baseplate of the head is 27cm above ground level.

The legs will splay out even further but are not in a locked position. If I do this to 2 legs and lock 1, the head is 14cm above the ground.

fishiee
    1 Dec 2007 - 1:37 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I think now I'll be going for the MF055 with 4-section legs as it's the most compact and lightweight option.

And on top probably the 322RC which gives me adjustment in all 3 axes with the one control which I do like the sound of. I did play with one of those a while back (probably the lighter weight version) and it felt pretty sturdy and was quick to adjust which is important for me.

I have also read this will go very low so that is ideal.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.