Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Negative - Scanners

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Take-a-View
    12 Mar 2004 - 8:00 AM

Having moved over to digital I have loads of negs I want to scan. Anyone recommend a good quality scanner?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Mar 2004 - 8:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserDeleted
    12 Mar 2004 - 9:06 AM

I use the Canon FS4000US dedicated film scanner.

4000 dpi with FARE (similar to ICE). Takes 4 x slides in one strip or 6 x negatives, even has an APS cartridge.

Less expensive than the Nikon equivalents.

If I was looking now I might evaluate the Minolta 5400 scanner, but the Canon produces 50MB+ files which can be printed to A3+ or submitted to Alamy.

Not sure on current price (mine is about 1 year old and prices would have dropped since then) - probably 500.

For medium format I use a Canonscan 9900F flatbed also with FARE - does 6x6 scans over 100MB - cost about 229.

HTH
    Mike

davidc
    davidc  10313 forum posts England
    12 Mar 2004 - 10:11 AM

A bit less expensive is the Minolta Dual 3 (I believe there is a Dual 4 now). I have scanned both b&w and colour negs with very good results. It has some dust removal software built in, but it is not so good as ICE. It will take 4 slides or a six strip of negs - they can be batch processed once you have prescanned the first.

paulclemy
    paulclemy  10 United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2004 - 1:35 PM

I can only comment on the Minolta SE 5400. I've found this to be a superb machine, if a little slow, but the image quality is well worth the wait. Is ICE worth having ? Well i've made scans with and without ICE and i'm glad a paid the extra for it. The top resolution is a bit O.T.T. for most users but it's nice to know it's there if ever needed. The new Nikon Coolscan V is supposed to be a very good scanner also.
    Hope this has been useful.
    Paul.

Stan. L-B
    Stan. L-B  12222 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2004 - 3:43 PM

I have a dated CanoScan D2400 that I use for film up to 5X4. It seems to work OK for me, but I am not a digital expert. I expect that they have re-vamped the model now. Expect to pay about 200. S/H or 400 new for a similar specification. Until mine blows up, I'll stick with it!

bill j
    bill j  1047 forum posts
    14 Mar 2004 - 2:32 PM

I'm using a Minolta DiMAGE scan Elite 5400,i've only had it a few months,but i am very pleased with the results so far,digital ice is excellent for dust & scratch removal,it scans 4 slides or 6 negs and also APS with an adapter.It also has manual control of exposure & focus as well as full auto mode,and can print up to 26x17in at 300dpi.But the thing that persuaded me was the 4.8 dynamic range,which produces a lot more detail in the shadows,the only down side that i can see is when you scan at 5400dpi with pixel polish & digital ice,plus 16x multiscan it increases scan times considerably,about 52mins,but the quality is superb.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.