Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nerves

HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 6:54PM
I am so p***sed off with myself at the moment. I suffer with the most horrendous nerves before a shoot and it is really putting me off booking anyone in.

I have quite a few people who are willing to pay for my shots but as soon as any money is involved I seem to freeze! Just wondering if any one else suffers from this and what I can do to calm down a bit!

Thanks for any advice... J x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 e2
8 753 14 England
1 Jul 2008 7:03PM
You should'nt be, your work is outstanding, have the confidence in yourself, knowing that you can produce the goods and your PF demonstrates you can.

Some butterflys are usual and stimulate the body and mind to work to its best.

Chris
HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 7:09PM
Thanks so much Chris!

I know that I can do some nice shots but I can't help but feel that it is more luck than judgment! LOL
I am just horrified by the thought that I will really bugger up on a shoot. I am generally ok once we get going, it is the hour before they arrive that I seem to freak out!
digipix76 e2
7 577 England
1 Jul 2008 7:17PM
Janey, firstly it's not luck! you consistancy proves that, get them in work with them, show them what your getting and if they like them bingo, if not re- shoot......I wish i could get someone in Smile

Ian
mrcal e2
10 1.0k
1 Jul 2008 7:19PM

Quote:I can't help but feel that it is more luck than judgment

If it were down to luck, you wouldn't get such a high proportion of good shots.

You might help your nerves by double-checking your kit, tidy the background, make sure you have fresh batteries and clean cards. Have one of your multitudinous good-looking friends and relatives sit in for 10 minutes so you can check the kit.

Do you keep spare fuses, modelling lamps and tubes for the flash heads? Make sure they're to hand.

Enjoy the shoot, take the money and put into your equipment fund Smile And then make another booking. Repeat until all nerves are gone.
Chrism8 e2
8 753 14 England
1 Jul 2008 7:19PM

Quote: it is the hour before they arrive that I seem to freak out !

So why not shoot a brother / sister / friend 30 min before hand putting the nerves at bay and confirming the set up and kits ok.

Chris
HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 7:20PM
Yes I suppose I can always re-shoot if it all goes pear shaped. I know it is an irrational fear that I have but it really is putting a proper damper on things at the moment!... now where is Paul Macenna's number....LOL

Thanks for your support Ian. J x
KarenFB e2
8 4.4k 163 England
1 Jul 2008 7:20PM
Surely they wouldn't have booked you if they had any doubts! I certainly wouldn't go to a photographer I didn't trust and respect.

We have a 'family favourite' who we've had for family weddings etc. He is absolutely brilliant! At my daughter's wedding he noticed I'd taken a shot of him, taking a shot of the guests (He'd been stood in quite a strange angle!). He turned to me and in a loud voice said "Does my bum look big in this?" It broke the ice beautifully and everyone relaxed. So, don't forget your humour and remember they are probably more nervous then you, being in front of the lens!! Smile
HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 7:21PM

Quote:Quote: So why not shoot a brother / sister / friend 30 min before hand putting the nerves at bay and confirming the set up and kits ok.

Chris

Great idea...I think distraction is the key to be honest! j
boony e2
8 978 3 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 7:21PM
i always find a tot of something alcoholic can help with nerves , just a small amount though dont get completely blotto`d!!
HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 7:23PM

Quote:I always find a tot of something alcoholic can help with nerves , just a small amount though dont get completely blotto`d!!

Not a bad idea...but at 10.30 in the morning it seems sooo inapropriate! Smile
HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 7:28PM
Thanks so much everyone for the great advice and kick up the arse I need! Smile
p3asa e2
9 676 Scotland
1 Jul 2008 8:01PM
Janey your portfolio is fantastic. If you think you have just been lucky, could you please pick me 6 numbers for this weeks lottery!!

Being anxious is the bodies way for preparing for a difficulty situation that goes back to caveman times when they either had to "Fight or flight". It is perfectly normal to be anxious. To a certain extent.

I use relaxation in my line of work for folk who experience anxiety related problems. Once they learn simple techniques of how to relax or how to divert their pessimistic thoughts of "I'm going to fail" then they can usually beat anxiety relatively easy.

Steven.
sketch 7 1.5k United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 8:09PM
I think you stress about it, because it means so much to you...
you always get it right, but worry just incase, i used to almost make myself sick when a shoot loomed, as said above worse case scenario, say you cmarea malfunctioned and do the shoot again, byt that would never happen to you janey im sure of it

sarah x
HelenO e2
8 46 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2008 8:29PM
Sarah, I think you are right! It means so much to me to get a good result. What I forget is that most people don't care if there are 'blown out' area's or cropped feet etc... I think I am a bit 'anal'! LOL Thanks so much for your support. J x

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.