Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New?

ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
1 Apr 2011 12:11AM
Friends,

with Ephotozine on offer, who needs facebook and all that other nonsense?

Gee whizz, I can't even text! What's the point? Isn't that what email is for?

As someone who for years, had a terrible speech impediment, I still can't get used to seeing almost everyone going around with a mobile stuck to their ear? What kind of life is that? I've got a mobile that is permanently turned off; I usually switch it on when 'I' need to use it! My daughter always tells me off, when I go town and I can't be contacted. Silence is indeed golden my friends!Grin

Frank.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
1 Apr 2011 3:08AM
Lol. Agree 100%. The day I retired I threw my Mobile as far as I could, and haven't looked back.Wink That was 71/2 years ago.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 9:05AM

Quote:I've got a mobile that is permanently turned off; I usually switch it on when 'I' need to use it! My daughter always tells me off, when I go town and I can't be contacted.

Like my mother. Phones you up, Leaves a message on your voice mail "I'm in John Lewis and I have just seen one of those XYZs you wanted. Do you want me to get you one?". You phone her back 5 seconds later and the phone is switched off...marvellous.

I never understand the whole switching it off thing. Is it too difficult just not to answer it if you don't want to? Is it to complex to switch it to silent?
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 9:22AM

Quote:I never understand the whole switching it off thing. Is it too difficult just not to answer it if you don't want to? Is it to complex to switch it to silent?

I'm with Frank on this issue. I guess its an age thing? My wife and I both have mobile phones and neither are switched on unless we need to make a call. they are there for emergencies only. But we were both born in the days when many homes didn't even have a phone which is why we probably don't feel the need for instant (but often pointless) communication with all and sundry Wink

Mind you - our kids can't understand us as their entire lives appear to be contained within and dominated by those "talking brooches" and the Grand-children think we came out of the ark! Tongue
1 Apr 2011 10:40AM

Quote:I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's a bit unfair to make assumptions about people who choose to use it.

Cup of tea?

Comments like "Must have a drinkie poo" don't endear the site to me SadSadSad
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
1 Apr 2011 10:52AM

Quote:I'm with Frank on this issue. I guess its an age thing? My wife and I both have mobile phones and neither are switched on unless we need to make a call. they are there for emergencies only.
Just hope its not an emergency and someone is trying to contact you Grin serious there is a place for all this mod tech facebook,mobiles text, emails twitter,skype web cams but it does not have to be a way of life I use most of the above at various times and as for the age thing I retire in August Smile Grin

Brian........................................................
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 10:58AM
My phone is always on during the day (off overnight), I just don't answer it if it is somebody to whom I don't want to talk at the time. If I turned it off I wouldn't be able to use all that lovely smart phone technology. Smile

Ian
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
1 Apr 2011 11:02AM
The sooner we can implant our personal mobile comms under the skin, the better....although mobiles already seem to get under some peoples skin Wink
Kris_Dutson e2
12 8.2k 1 England
1 Apr 2011 11:03AM

Quote:I've got a life.

So have I, but I've also got a business to run.
1 Apr 2011 11:15AM

Quote: I guess its an age thing?

Could be.

It doesn't seem all that long ago (actually it is!) that to make a phone we had to use the red call box at the corner of the street.

Which we didn't often do because the people we were likely to want to phone didn't have a home phone either.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Apr 2011 11:29AM
I go pretty much everywhere by car and, these days, I would never want to be without a mobile phone: getting stuck in the car in rising floodwater a few years back has left its mark on me. Lol! Grin

I've just taken delivery of a 'smartphone'. I only bought it for the (apparently) decent stills/video camera on it - saves taking two devices around with me (mobile + compact). But I suspect I will never use 95% of this new phone's facilities.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 4:08PM
Im also like most of above, bought up in an enviroment of red phone boxes.Having my phone turned on all the time runs the risk of it running my life , Emergencys and when i need to contact someone is fine by me, Anyone who matters know where I am and can get hold of me if its that importent.
2 Apr 2011 10:59AM

Quote:......getting stuck in the car in rising floodwater a few years back has left its mark on me. Lol!

A high watermark, CB?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Apr 2011 2:50PM

Quote:A high watermark, CB?

Luckily, for me, not too high! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.