Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New gallery "Like" feature added

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: topic has ran it's course
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
5 Jul 2011 - 12:40 PM

Here's what the new link looks like:

pete.jpg

and here's what it looks like if I use the "normal" method of sharing a link on FB

brian.jpg

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jul 2011 - 12:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 12:42 PM

Whilst we all know anything can be linked to anything else on the web, I'm guessing this makes it just that little bit easier for Facebookers et al to visit EPZ and pinch photos. It's psychology more than technology.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 5 Jul 2011 - 12:43 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 12:43 PM

CB, it is just a f***ing link, FFS!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 12:46 PM

Quote: CB, it is just a f***ing link, FFS!

Language dear! Wink

It is more than a link: it is a link accompanied by a thumbnail.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 12:49 PM

Quote: it is a link accompanied by a thumbnail.

WOW!!!

Quote: However, if your the type of person who doesn't like sharing things online, then you probably shouldn't be sharing things online.

Ditto.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 5 Jul 2011 - 12:50 PM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72344 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
5 Jul 2011 - 12:49 PM

I hope this isn't a surprise to anyone, but what about Google? We are a freely accessible website to visitors and we are on all the search engines. Surely if you are to be scared of people knicking your photos, you should be scared of Google more than facebook.

We aren't giving people the ability to download your photos, we provide a whole lot of protection to stop that.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 5 Jul 2011 - 12:52 PM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 12:51 PM

Well I'm going to have words with Cole, I've liked one of my images & he's threatening to pinch it!!! LOL! I'm of to pinch one of his now Wink might be worth more than mine. I'll be a millionaire by next week Smile

Last Modified By whipspeed at 5 Jul 2011 - 12:55 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 12:52 PM

Quote: Once again Pete and the team do something positive for the site and users, and get a barrage of negativity. Dont get me wrong, I think asking questions is good but anyone can share anything in facebook, there really isnt an issue here.

NO, Pete and the team do something which may or may not be positive for the site and some people are negative about it or uncomfortable with it and so express their concerns.

Quote: It's pscychology more than technology.

Spot on, CB. EPZ for me is a photographic social network I choose to be involved with. I can't do anything about the fact that anything I do on the web can be shared anywhere, but I don't have to like or facilitate it

Quote: However, if your the type of person who doesn't like sharing things online, then you probably shouldn't be sharing things online.

I think this is condescending and unhelpful from one of the team. I know what sharing is, and I know anyone can link to my pages of they want. But I don't see why it should have to be made easier for someone to link to my pages by having a button stuck on them. I'm sure there are some who, if ther's a button there, they'll hit it because it's so simple. If they want to share my stuff, why shouldn't they have to use a few extra clicks? They'll hardly get RSI if they haven't already...

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72344 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
5 Jul 2011 - 12:58 PM

Quote: I think this is condescending and unhelpful from one of the team.

Apologies if my comment came across condescending. I was just trying to sum up in an easy way that if you don't want your photos shared across the web, then you need to think about that when you decide to hit 'upload' on any website.

The reasons we put this in place are:

1. Allows you to easily generate more exposure for your own photos without needing to log into all your social networks and doing so.
2. Allows you to easily share a link (in some cases with a thumbnail) to photos you find on ePHOTOzine with your friends on other social networks.
3. Gives ePHOTOzine a chance for more exposure to possibly grow our community of great photographers like you guys.

We don't expect everyone to like everything we do. It's impossible to do so. And I did expect that there may be some who don't like the feature, but felt that the advantages many users find will outweigh the negatives that some users find.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 5 Jul 2011 - 12:59 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
5 Jul 2011 - 1:02 PM

Well said David. I don't think you were condescending either, just explaining the reality of the web in simple terms. And it really is that simple - if you publish something on the web, it can be linked to anywhere, by anyone.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 1:03 PM

Thanks for doing the examples Bri

Itís good to see what would be shared with a social network site as opposed to a search engine

(how can anyone think these are the same, perhaps totally wrong but I would think that the Terms of Use for social network sites are rather different to that stipulated by search engines)

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 1:23 PM

Quote: (how can anyone think these are the same, perhaps totally wrong but I would think that the Terms of Use for social network sites are rather different to that stipulated by search engines)

The terms of use may be different but the effect is pretty much the same - a link to your picture is stored and indexed by a 3rd party. As you are not actually uploading to these sites the copyright dosn't come in to it AFAICS.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 1:23 PM

But I thought I was sharing images on ePHOTOzine and not for anybody to link my images to anywhere else in the world with a click of a button.

I think it should remain that one should only be able to link / share ones own images with this feature.

CB makes the pertinent point

Quote: I don't think people are objecting to having their own photos exposed on FB, i.e. by themselves.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2011 - 1:29 PM

Quote: The terms of use may be different but the effect is pretty much the same - a link to your picture is stored and indexed by a 3rd party. As you are not actually uploading to these sites the copyright dosn't come in to it AFAICS

With a thumbnail variant is the 3rd party site not publishing the image. Just because they don't host the larger version the image itself is still there isnt it?

davidburleson
5 Jul 2011 - 1:29 PM

For the past 10 years, people have been able to share links to photos, portfolios, forum posts, almost anything on ePHOTOzine. We aren't a private, members-only website. That is the only way we would truly be able to stop outsiders from sharing your stuff across the web.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 5 Jul 2011 - 1:30 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: topic has ran it's course