Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New Bigma v Canon 100-400

29 Jun 2011 8:11AM
Has anyone any experience yet of the Sigma 50-500 OS version,how does it compare with the older lense and how it rates against a Canon 100-400 for mainly airshow use?

John in East Sussex

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

29 Jun 2011 12:04PM
I've had a Bigma 1 since it was first introduced and for the range it gives and cost it really is a winner. Bigma mark 2 has to be even better as for the stability at full zoom. This is now where my Mark 1 fails me hand held ( 74 years makes a big difference ) Having said all that if you mange to get a good Canon 100-400 (and there are some bad ones around even from new) I would go for it as it will perhaps hold it's price better.

John
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Jun 2011 9:44PM
Unless you really need the 50-150mm range (and don't have another lens to cover it) then think very seriously about the Sigma 150-500mm rather than the 50-500mm lens. I have been using the 150-500mm on a Nikon D3s and a D300 for almost a year now and have been hugely impressed by its sharpness and fidelity even to the very extreme of its range. My only very mild complaint is the slight noise from the OS system (but I have that switched off most of the time anyway as the high-ISO supremacy of the Nikons allows me to use fairly high shutter speeds and, of course, no VR/OS/IS system gives any benefit at speeds faster than about 1/500th anyway).
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
30 Jun 2011 9:46PM
well, you can't find another lens more versatile than the bigma.
leftforum High supremacy of nikon?
missed out iso

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.