Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New camera 1k budget

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    oakley19782
    2 Nov 2012 - 6:34 PM

Hello all

Thanks for reading, i have a 1k budget to buy a new Nikon DSLR, i was looking at the D700 and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on anything else?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Nov 2012 - 6:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ploughman
    Ploughman  128 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Nov 2012 - 7:11 PM

Your choice would be very good. However, I strongly suggest having a look at the Pentax K5 - K5II - K5IIs cameras. Start by reading the K5 5review here and maybe DPreview. For sheer usability and picture quality the K5 is amazing and well up to the Nikon D7000.
    Keep us informed on your decision and good luck whichever way you go.
    Oh, remember to post a few pictures.
    Ploughman.

Andy_Cundell
    2 Nov 2012 - 8:10 PM

Do you have any gear already or have you just picked Nikon?

My advice would be go and touchy feel the cameras first. I had a play with my mates D800 the other day and it was too big and heavy for me...........and I wanted one soooo much but now, my next upgrade wont be the D800!

If your Nikon tied due to lenses, the D700 looks like a good choice BUT the D7000 is also very good and cheaper(I have a D90 at the moment and am very happy with it).

I'm sure all the canon factor will add somethings as well!

Just to set off the canon lot.......................Nikon is better Grin

Last Modified By Andy_Cundell at 2 Nov 2012 - 8:15 PM
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Nov 2012 - 8:13 PM

Quote: I strongly suggest having a look at the Pentax K5 - K5II - K5IIs cameras.

My suggestion also as they can match the big boys who have so much more clout in advertising.

I cant fault the K5 even if I wanted to Wink

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    2 Nov 2012 - 9:02 PM

Andy gives good advice. Find a local shop that will let you hold and try the cameras ( I found a decent size Currys that had all the models on display). Also something to bear in mind is lenses.

If you haven't got any equipment already, then it may be worth spending a bit less on the body to leave a bit of money free for additional lenses and other accessories that you will start to add. As I found it becomes expensive once you get into it! A second note about lenses is that typically because Canon and Nikon tend to be the most popular systems, 2nd hand and 3rd party lenses are more readily available.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314918 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Nov 2012 - 9:17 PM

If you can stretch to 1150 you cold get the OMD + Lens with the 45mm f1.8 thrown in as a free gift worth 280.

But if it has to be 1000 you could just get the OMD body with the 45mm thrown in for free.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 2 Nov 2012 - 9:18 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.