Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New camera anybody !!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Geoffphoto
    23 Apr 2013 - 3:14 PM

A chance to buy THAT new (pre-loved! ) camera you're looking for, if you have a few quid spare !!

leica

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 23 Apr 2013 - 3:15 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Apr 2013 - 3:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
    ikett  3328 forum posts England
    23 Apr 2013 - 4:45 PM

Clocked this a few days ago, it's an old camera, and an old apparently staged image.

Is either worth the asking price?

As an old camera it has historic value (not many surviving), is the camera worth more money because it allegedly took a famous picture, not to me!

But no doubt the collecting morons will pay a small fortune for what in reality is a very basic camera.

Cough splutter run away.

Geoffphoto
    23 Apr 2013 - 6:33 PM

Quote: it's an old camera, and an old apparently staged image.

Excuse me Sir, but it's one of the most famous iconic images in the history of photography, so it was staged, so what !! (Shock ! Horror !!, photographer sets up picture !!!!!) , but that's like saying that the Mona Lisa is just an old portrait and that it's only worth is an old bit of canvas !!

I would love to be able to buy that "old" ( totally unique) camera but alas it's just a bit too expensive !! Smile

Oh BTW Alfred Eisenstaedt is a genius anyway !!!!

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 23 Apr 2013 - 6:38 PM
    Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2013 - 6:39 PM

There are in fact a large number of pre-war leica screw cameras out there. Many are still serviced and serviceable, and the Summitar lens is a pretty good performer, particularly the coated versions. They are still taking great images.

The provenance is another thing - A camera used by Eisenstadt or anyone else is worth only what someone is prepared to pay for it, but a non-famous owner's camera (the same outfit) would be worth maybe a few hundred pounds? How much would someone pay for a Leica used by Cartier-Bresson? Even if not working? On the possibility it was used to shoot an iconic image? Collectors are prepared to spend ridiculous money, particularly where Leica is concerned.

Fortunately there are Leica users and Leica collectors - not usually the same thing! The equipment is still engineering beauty even today, and the soft click of a screw Leica's shutter firing is just luscious compared to the harsh "clack" of an SLR.

Nick

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2013 - 9:38 PM

That is incredible. I have been searching for this picture for ages and could not remember who the photographer was. Thank you so much for posting this I have gone on and on and on about it for ages and now I can prove it is a real image! Grin Grin Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.