Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Canon remote control limitations?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MiqsPix
    MiqsPix  341 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:17 AM

I have a EOS 60D and have been bought a Hahnel Combi TF Wireless remote shutter and flash trigger. I also have a new Canon remote control. I wanted to fire the shutter remotely and also the slave flash using these items. Unfortunately I have learned that the Canon remote control I have can only be used to remotely fire the shutter when it is in line of sight of the camera i.e in front of the camera. Therefore removing the ability to stand behind the camera. Is this the case and if so, ignoring the option of returning the Canon remote, what can I do to be able to "hide" behind the camera. I want to set up a bird feeder and capture birds in winter snow in my garden, so to be able to be indoors and fire the camera when appropriate. I have a Canon 70-200 f4 lens so I thought I had it all sorted. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
    MikeA  91176 forum posts England
    18 Nov 2012 - 3:56 PM

A length of fibre optic cable attached to the remote then taped to or near the camera sensor should do the trick.

Last Modified By MikeA at 18 Nov 2012 - 3:57 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit  56687 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2012 - 6:05 PM

The hahnel is wireless so can be used from behind the camera. Can you use the hahnel as the camera trigger and the 60D flash to trigger the slave?

MikeA
    MikeA  91176 forum posts England
    18 Nov 2012 - 6:25 PM

Ops....... when I see "line of sight" I usually associate with Infra red not wireless at short range.

MiqsPix
    19 Nov 2012 - 4:59 PM

Quote: The hahnel is wireless so can be used from behind the camera. Can you use the hahnel as the camera trigger and the 60D flash to trigger the slave?

Yes and thanks to all. I didn't want to use the pop up flash on the camera. I know I can mask off the pop up, or reduce flash comp to zero but I wanted to not use it because I didn't want too many flash distractions.

mikehit
    19 Nov 2012 - 5:21 PM

You don't need to mask off the pop-up flash. In the set-up menu you can get it to fire the main flash only - the pop-up just sends out a signal to trigger the main flash without firing its own flash.
    Failing that, could you buy a second hahnel receiver: one for the camera and one for the flash?

MiqsPix
    19 Nov 2012 - 5:34 PM

Quote: You don't need to mask off the pop-up flash. In the set-up menu you can get it to fire the main flash only - the pop-up just sends out a signal to trigger the main flash without firing its own flash.

I have the Nissin Di622 speedlite flash and it will not work wirelessly with the 60D unless I use the pulse from my pop up flash, as I understand it! Smile If I had a Canon flash then it probably would, but then I hear that the 430 requires the pop up to be active also. Sad

mikehit
    19 Nov 2012 - 5:50 PM

In that case, maybe the second Hahnel receiver would work (about 30). The flash will be manual, not ETTL.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.