Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Dslr

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bmurray
    bmurray  650 forum posts Scotland
    23 Dec 2011 - 9:42 PM

Hi, I have literally just opened the box an hour ago and im very excited and very scared, my wife is working christmas so we had ours tonight and i got a pentax k-r twin lens kit. i'd like to know if there is a section on here or elsewhere on the web where i can get sound advice on lenses/accessories. I know i'll have to take the time to get used to the 2 i have but im looking on ebay and there are a lot of accessories (lens hoods, filters etc) which are suspiciously cheap, should these be avoided or are they just bargains?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Dec 2011 - 9:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    23 Dec 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi Brian,
    I'm pretty sure that there's a dedicated "Pentax" forum somewhere on here but I'd have no idea where.
    If you you just want more general advice about suitable lenses etc., then this is probably as good a place as any to get started.
    If you're moving on from a compact, as think you are, having looked at your pf., (do you have a cat by any chance?!)
    and a DSLR is new to you, then you're in for a great time.
    What kind of things, more specifically, would you like to know about?

bmurray
    23 Dec 2011 - 10:19 PM

How did you know I had cats? have i stumbled into the psychic forum by mistake? I follow the belief that if i take a thousand pics, one of them has to come out ok.
    im sure its not a new thought but id like to take the kind of pictures that really stand out (not literally like 3D) i think there are about 2 pics on my profile which were taken by my wife (who can barely work the kettle) and i think they are better than any of the ones i took.
    I'd also like to know about the settings, if i tinker with the manual side of the dslr, do i need to adjust the settings for every shot? im not sure how to word this question so bear with me, what i mean is if im outside on a sunny day taking landscape pics, do i need to manually adjust everything when i go inside and then change then back again when i go back out? if this doesnt make sense just ignore me.

Billlee
    Billlee  85531 forum posts England
    23 Dec 2011 - 11:26 PM

[what i mean is if im outside on a sunny day taking landscape pics, do i need to manually adjust everything when i go inside and then change then back again when i go back out? if this doesnt make sense just ignore me.]

Yes! The camera in manual mode makes no adjustments by itself. Therefore the photographer is in total control of the settings .... so if you are moving from a bright exterior to a darker interior, then yes you will have to readjust your settings accordingly assuming you are going to take a picture inside. If you are just going for, say, a call of nature, and the sun is just as bright when you get back outside, then there is no need to adjust the camera.... only your clothing Wink

Jestertheclown
    23 Dec 2011 - 11:36 PM

Again, Yes!
    As Bilee says, you'll need to set the camera for each situation and possibly, each shot.
    Going straight into Manual mode is rather going in at the deep end though.
    I'd suggest that you learn as much as possible about the various functions, shutter speed, aperture and ISO first and then have a go using "Aperture" or "Shutter" priority. Personally, I prefer "Aperture" but I'm sure others will suggest other wise.
    Although you're actually entering something of a minefield, don't be put off. There are dozens of people on here who will be only too pleased to help you. We weren't all born knowing how to do this, so however daft your question may seem to you; ask it anyway. Chances are that we were all asking that same daft question not very long ago!

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 23 Dec 2011 - 11:41 PM
    User_Removed
    24 Dec 2011 - 12:53 AM

Have a bit play with this, take your time and read through the other things on the site - this for example. It will speed up the understanding of your camera.

Don't worry if you don't understand everything in five minutes, wouldn't expect you too.

Bloggs
    Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
    24 Dec 2011 - 8:22 AM

This is a good site for Pentax users ( http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/ ) have funnwith the camera got one myself 2 weeks ago and i love it enjoy Grin

bmurray
    24 Dec 2011 - 9:23 AM

thanks everyone for your time, i now have my first sort-of technical query so bear with me. my compact camera (samsung nv3) has a focal length equivalent to 34mm-114mm, the pentax lens im using just now is 18-55mm yet the macro pics on the samsung seem to be much better, i was assuming that the 18mm would make it better so what am i doing wrong?

tripodted
    tripodted e2 Member 930 forum poststripodted vcard Northern Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Dec 2011 - 1:24 PM

Hi Brian,
    You are not doing anything wrong. The focal length of the lens has nothing to do with its macro capabilities. The 18-55mm lens you have with the slr is not designed for macro work. To get good macro shots with the slr you can get a set of auto extension tubes or close-up filters for the front of the lens but for the best quality it is hard to beat an actual macro lense.
    All this can seem a bit confusing as most compact cameras have very good macro and close-up capabilities.
    It can be a steep learning curve moving on to a slr but read as much as you can from magazines and keep shooting away and the rewards will be worth it.
    Ted

bmurray
    24 Dec 2011 - 1:56 PM

Great, I'll try and research things before i ask about them i dont want to clog up the server with my million+ questions, just one last query for now, should i trust the equipment on ebay? e.g theres a lens flower hood and filter going for 7 but i dont know if these kinds of things are just cheap rubbish or not.

Jestertheclown
    24 Dec 2011 - 2:24 PM

A hood's a hood Brian.
    If you're unsure of Ebay and many people are, have a look at 7-day-shop. They're selling loads of photogrtaphic accessories for Ebay prices.
    And I know that hoods, for example, are amongst them.
    By the way, you won't regret getting a petal hood, once you've llearned it's limitations.

Got to go.

Back later.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Dec 2011 - 2:33 PM

Quote: theres a lens flower hood and filter going for 7 but i dont know if these kinds of things are just cheap rubbish or not

Provided its the correct lens hood for the lens, a "lens hood is a lens hood". Filters on the other hand vary considerably in both price and quality. You didn't mention which filter it is. Make sure that the filter thread fits your lens.

Camera Price Buster is a useful source to comapre prices.

Spend some time getting to know your new camera and lens, understand their strenghts and weaknessess, before being tempted to buy accessories that you may not need. You "elgin sky" shot taken with your iphone is a good example of it just not being "kit" that takes a good shot. So also spend some time developing your ability to understand light, composition and the like. Paying for some training courses, or joining the loacl camera club may be a better investment than new kit initailly.

Some accessories that you may need shortly, if you dont have then already are: Tripod and ball head, Speedlight (Flash), Reflector

Enjoy your new Christams Gift and take lots of pictures over the festive period.

bmurray
    24 Dec 2011 - 3:36 PM

thanks everyone, your advice is greatly appreciated, i might go and take some actual pictures now. stay tuned for my first gallery post.

Jestertheclown
    24 Dec 2011 - 8:06 PM

Quote: stay tuned for my first gallery post.

I shall do.
    If it's good , sound advice you're looking for, you'll do well to upload some images in the Critique Gallery.
    It's not as fearsome as it sounds and you'll be surprised just how much and how quickly, you'll learn.
    I think that, as a non-paying member (nothing wrong with that) you can only upload one in there a week but if you accompany the image with as much information re. how and why you took it and perhaps, what you were hoping to achieve, you'll get plenty of feedback. Enough, hopefully, to keep you thinking until your next upload!

Good luck.

Bren.

petemasty
    petemasty  5155 forum posts England
    25 Dec 2011 - 7:31 PM

Quote: Hi, I have literally just opened the box an hour ago and im very excited and very scared, my wife is working christmas so we had ours tonight and i got a pentax k-r twin lens kit. i'd like to know if there is a section on here or elsewhere on the web where i can get sound advice on lenses/accessories. I know i'll have to take the time to get used to the 2 i have but im looking on ebay and there are a lot of accessories (lens hoods, filters etc) which are suspiciously cheap, should these be avoided or are they just bargains?

Quote: Hi, I have literally just opened the box an hour ago and im very excited and very scared, my wife is working christmas so we had ours tonight and i got a pentax k-r twin lens kit. i'd like to know if there is a section on here or elsewhere on the web where i can get sound advice on lenses/accessories. I know i'll have to take the time to get used to the 2 i have but im looking on ebay and there are a lot of accessories (lens hoods, filters etc) which are suspiciously cheap, should these be avoided or are they just bargains?

I too am a Kr owner. went from a Pentax k20 to a Canon 7d and back to Pentax again. The Kr is a great camera, it really is. I don't think anything can beat it for the money at the moment (though I star to be corrected). As someone else pointed out in here, the pentax user forum www.pentaxuser.co.uk is, I think, the very best place to get the most out of your pentax. The people on there are friendly and helpful (as they are here) ad the classified section is excellent. I've now settled down with the 18-55mm lens and the 55-300mm lens as well as a few older manual prime ones for fun. and you'll find plenty of third party lenses that fit, such as Sigma and Tamron.

Post some pics on here and the pentax user forum and seek some critical feedback. i found it absolutely invaluable when i started. What you think is a great shot, for instance, can turn out to be 'rubbish', and vice versa. These people here know their stuff and all give valid and worthwhile opinions (mostly). enjoy the experience, and enjoy the journey.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.