Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New DX !!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Stumpy
Stumpy  7 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 - 8:04 PM

So, it looks like no new upgrade for the D300s at Photokina, just another FX ' How much longer will we have to wait for a new DX Camera I wonder, or do Nikon intend to phase them out ???

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2012 - 8:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
19 Sep 2012 - 9:39 AM

Quote: How much longer will we have to wait for a new DX Camera I wonder

I can wait a very long time Stumpy, my 3 year old D300 is still outperforming me and will do for a long time to come I suspect.

Smile

thewilliam
19 Sep 2012 - 10:02 AM

We must be getting close to the point where cameras have enough Megapixels and acceptable high ISO performance.

Vulgar professionals like me would like would like our tools to serve as long as they did in the old days. My first Hasselblad, bought in the 1970s will still do a good job with a modern digiback.

Jestertheclown
19 Sep 2012 - 1:33 PM

Quote: We must be getting close to the point where cameras have enough Megapixels and acceptable high ISO performance.

I think that we arrived at that point, certainly where pixel counting is concerned, some time ago.
Admittedly, I've yet to see an A4 print of an everyday scene that was shot using a 24 (or more) megapixel sensor but I'm highly doubtful that it will look twice as good as one shot on a more realistic, 12-15mp one.
What I am sure of though, is that the camera that took it will have cost getting on for twice as much.

thewilliam
19 Sep 2012 - 2:22 PM

I use D3 and D3X bodies on a regular basis. There is a clearly noticeable difference between the two models in a modest size print, even though I'm not sure there should be.

User_Removed
19 Sep 2012 - 2:53 PM

Quote: I've yet to see an A4 print of an everyday scene that was shot using a 24 (or more) megapixel sensor but I'm highly doubtful that it will look twice as good as one shot on a more realistic, 12-15mp one. .

.....or a 6Mp even more realistic one.

Remember, it is only a few years since the front covers of glossy magazines were being shot with 6Mp cameras.

In an A4 print, made from all (or most) of the frame area, quality should not vary markedly according to sensor megapixelage alone. But there may well be other improvements in the camera design, processing engine, firmware, post-processing software, etc., etc., etc. that do lead some cameras to produce better images than others, even with small A4 prints.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 3:00 PM

Quote: How much longer will we have to wait for a new DX Camera I wonder, or do Nikon intend to phase them out ???

I'm starting to think that the DX camera may become redundant and the future is likely to become this:

phone camera / hybrid models (replacing bottom end compacts)
CSC (replacing high end compacts and low end DX cameras)
Full frame SLR (replacing high end DX cameras)

Last Modified By Pete at 19 Sep 2012 - 3:00 PM
Jestertheclown
19 Sep 2012 - 3:04 PM

Quote: .....or a 6Mp even more realistic one.

Hi LF,
Yes, I should have said that.
I used to have a 4mp. Kodak Easyshare. It was top dog when it was new and cost a shade over 700.
Sadly,it got lost/mislaid on a day out but the images from it were excellent and printed at A4 without any problems.
My five year old, 7-and-a-bit mp. Fuji bridge camera's the same.
I suppose to some extent I'm making my own point here but my D3100, which has 14(ish) mp. spread over a larger sensor does a better job than both of them but it's not twice or three times as good.

User_Removed
19 Sep 2012 - 5:19 PM

Quote: How much longer will we have to wait for a new DX Camera I wonder, or do Nikon intend to phase them out ???

I'm starting to think that the DX camera may become redundant and the future is likely to become this:

phone camera / hybrid models (replacing bottom end compacts)
CSC (replacing high end compacts and low end DX cameras)
Full frame SLR (replacing high end DX cameras)

Haven't Sony just brought out a full-frame Compact that uses the same 24.3Mp sensor as in their latest dSLR?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Sep 2012 - 5:20 PM
Stumpy
Stumpy  7 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 8:19 PM

Thanks for the chat chaps, but my old D200 has come to the end of the road, and its going to cost more to repair than its worth. If they dont hurry up I am going to get a second hand D3 or D3s ' they should give a reasonable pic with my DX glass and work well well with my other glass. I dont need the Mp's on a D800 I think thats getting a bit silly for me. The way my hands shake some days all I would get is a blur' ( terrible thing Old age )

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 10:34 AM

You'll get a D800 (or a D600 if you really want fewer Mp) for less than the price of a s/h D3s.

The problem with the D3/D3s if you have shaky hands is the sheer bulk and weight of the beasts. That was one of the (minor) reasons that I "downgraded" from the D3s to a D800 - that, and the fact that the transaction left me with 500 to spend on beer.

One big advantage of the D800 or even the D600 in your situation is that when using DX lenses in DX mode, you will still have decent resolution. With the D3.D3s you are dropping to 6Mp. (Mark you, that is still OK for many purposes like A4 prints or any monitor viewing or projection).

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 - 10:37 AM

Nikon want to make money Wink
Bringing out the D800 caused some pros to move sideways from medium format, and quite a few Canon users switch to Nikon.
After the body users upgrade lenses etc
Then comes the D600 with more MP than the dues in 3 months Canon.
More will switch from Canon, and some will switch from DX rather than wait for a 24 MP improved AF as yet mythical D400.
Many DX switchers will buy some FX lenses Smile
Nikon looks like beating Canon to be the first DSLR maker to sell more than the 10% of DSLR bodies by number of units - but that still leaves a huge 90% DX market.
My guess is a D400 after Christmas - so more get a D600 in their Christmas stocking.
That Nikon can make 24MP DX bodies is known from the D3200.
To some extent Nikon are probably still playing catch-up from last years floods that knocked out maybe 90% of DSLR and lens production for up to 3 months.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 10:43 AM

One side comment, I heard from a camera dealer is that in a strange side effect, they are now selling even more 5D MKII from the halo effect. People look at the new full frame cameras and thinking about getting a new camera then looking at the price and going for the old Canon. I wonder if this is a local or general trend.

I think Pete has a point, the camera manufacturers want us to spend a certain level of cash with them to retain a high margin on SLRs, so the crop cameras will come under pressure at the top from full frame and mirror less etc further down the range. That no doubt explains Nikons view. Better to sell 10 cameras with 300 profit each than 100 with 20 profit each. Numbers made up Wink

Last Modified By strawman at 20 Sep 2012 - 10:46 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 1:01 PM

Quote: they are now selling even more 5D MKII from the halo effect

Maybe Canon should restart the production line before it gets rusty! Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 1:39 PM

Quote: Haven't Sony just brought out a full-frame Compact that uses the same 24.3Mp sensor as in their latest dSLR?

What does that prove? They also brought out Betamax! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.