Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New feature - Tag search

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 7:52 AM

Quote: In the future who doesn't tag, doesn't search

In that case I'll just put all the favourites in my tags:
sunset, robin, gerbera, landscape, scenic, puffin, stitchwort. Should get found in every single search then Smile)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jun 2006 - 7:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110248 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 7:56 AM

Quote: Oh and the enter key definitely needs to default to the submit button, see it's not just you Brian Smile

Maybe not Cheryl, but I claim the prize for the first one to find it! Smile

tomcupr
tomcupr  8346 forum posts
6 Jun 2006 - 7:58 AM

Quote: Maybe not Cheryl, but I claim the prize for the first one to find it! Smile

Yeah, that's why I spent a week developing this. So you can claim "first-to-find-a-bug" prizes Wink

BTW "IE issue" should be fixed now

IanFlindt
IanFlindt  9739 forum posts United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 7:58 AM

That's weird. I've just typed in "East Anglia" as a tag search and only my own images appeared. Either that means I'm the only person in East Anglia who's used those words as tags....or I've been doing something I shouldn't have!

It's a terrific facility. I'm off now to search for "Snowdonia"...to get some inspiration for my hols.

Well done, Tomas.

NikH
NikH  10524 forum posts England
6 Jun 2006 - 8:02 AM

Got to say, really good facility. Big thank you and well done from me.

tomcupr
6 Jun 2006 - 8:07 AM

Quote: That's weird. I've just typed in "East Anglia" as a tag search and only my own images appeared.

As I said - not many photos is tagged. Be patient. This is mostly user-run system and it depends on you guys how usefull (or not) it is

tomcupr
6 Jun 2006 - 8:07 AM

BTW thank you for all good feedback and finding errors Smile

I really mean it!

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 8:08 AM

Tom, my point seems to have been lost in the flow...

Can you arrange things such that a search on two adjacent tags e.g. "x y" yields a subset of a search on "x,y", instead of being two independent searches?

tj
tj ePHOTOzine Staff 111943 forum poststj vcard England
6 Jun 2006 - 8:10 AM

Hi everyone,

Tom has spent a lot of time and effort in developing this - and it is still a work in progress, with lots more which can be added if the tagging is used correctly.

Cheryl, I know you were only joking but it has highlighted a serious point we do need to make though:

If this is to be a success for everyone there is no point in just adding popular tags to your photos. These tags will be deleted, the member will be prevented from using and being a part of the keyword search and it will simply spoil it for everyone else.

Thanks for your comments and input so far, and well done Tom! Smile

tomcupr
6 Jun 2006 - 8:19 AM

Quote: Can you arrange things such that a search on two adjacent tags e.g. "x y" yields a subset of a search on "x,y", instead of being two independent searches?

ok..it is hard to explain but let's say we have "new york". If you put it together we know clearly that your photo is related to New York. If you put it separately "New, York". It can be related to York in the UK as well. There would be many other good examples but believe me that I spent a lot of time planning this and this is probably the best approach we could have chosen. Every approach has its disadvantages though. I can post some articles here about problems connected with tag phrasing and searching if anyone's interested Smile Our approach will prove useful when there are lots of photos tagged and we will start doing more operations such as looking for synonyms, plurals and similar words...

Stay tuned!! Grin

Mixpix
Mixpix  101058 forum posts England
6 Jun 2006 - 8:30 AM

Will it be possible to tag the images when you upload them? Just a thought, one less link to click on.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 8:35 AM

Darn tj, you are such a spoilsport Tongue

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 8:36 AM

OK, thanks Tom.

Keep up the good work!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 8:43 AM

Quote: Can you arrange things such that a search on two adjacent tags e.g. "x y" yields a subset of a search on "x,y", instead of being two independent searches?

I'm with Tom on this issue - his example is quite clear as to why.

Take other examples, 'Buckingham Palace' , 'Eifell Tower'

Would you want it to return say a portrait of Eifell and a tower or as I assume the Paris landmark.

In the example joolsb used I would suggest 'Jurassic Coast' as this is a generic term for this location and 'coast' as two separate tags.

Advanced searches - A OR B AND NOT LIKE C is probably overkill at the moment for this site.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110248 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 8:58 AM

Quote: BTW "IE issue" should be fixed now

yup - I can confirm that Tom, thanks.

Bug hunting of the kind you have in hand can be a soul destroying pastime - I think I'll stick to my own kind! Smile

Its looking good though Tom and you've certainly struck a chord with your "customers" - I was amazed at the speed the "Tag Target" was reached

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.