Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New feature - Tag search

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:00 AM

Bugger - double posted! Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jun 2006 - 9:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcupr
tomcupr  8346 forum posts
6 Jun 2006 - 9:04 AM

Quote: Will it be possible to tag the images when you upload them? Just a thought, one less link to click on.

It has been there since the tagging went live Smile The field is named - TAGS... Grin

And as JJGEE said - with our current server it's nearly impossible to make really complex searches but we will be getting a new one soon (hopefully) which will serve just the database = improved performance of entire site + more tagging possibilities.

My goal is to create a really "intelligent" tag searching function, which is something you probably won't find anywhere else Smile

JJGEE
JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:16 AM

Quote: I can post some articles here about problems connected with tag phrasing and searching if anyone's interested

Tom, my understanding is that tagging is 'similar' in concept to keywording and as I am about to embark on such an excercise would be interesed any links to articles / books etc.

gajewski
gajewski e2 Member 9gajewski vcard United States9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:20 AM

I love the new feature so far. I look forward to what you provide once the new server is in place.
I also look forward to all of us getting educated on how best to create useful tags. Maybe there could be a bit of a suggestion list. I would suggest things like location (Paris, California, Italy, etc.) and maybe seasonal terms, things we might not ordinarily consider when tagging but that might help somebody with a search.
One hint for people outside the UK -- we should probably learn to use UK spelling when tagging, otherwise a search for "colour" won't get folks to our great shots of "color." -=Walter

tomcupr
6 Jun 2006 - 9:20 AM

Quote: Tom, my understanding is that tagging is 'similar' in concept to keywording and as I am about to embark on such an excercise would be interesed any links to articles / books etc.

I'm off to golf now but if you send me a quick reminder to email you I'll send you the stuff tomorrow morning.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108374 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:22 AM

Hmmm...

If you do a tag search on "Stanage" it only shows my images.

Result!

;o)

beaniebabe
6 Jun 2006 - 9:25 AM

Doug...everyone is now frantically re-tagging with stanage as we speak Wink

Angie x

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:29 AM

Bingo. Try Stanage, now.

:o)

Wink

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108374 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:29 AM

Bummer :o(
Ok then.
Try Astro

;o)

tomcupr
6 Jun 2006 - 9:30 AM

OK - I answer one more Smile

Quote: One hint for people outside the UK -- we should probably learn to use UK spelling when tagging, otherwise a search for "colour" won't get folks to our great shots of "color."

Such things will be included in synonyms search Smile Tags is quite new thing in the online world and we are all learning but my understanding is that in principle of Folksonomy tags should be added completely freely and it is task of back-end system to make searches as relevant as possible Once I have resources in place I will create such a system.

The reason I asked you to input descriptive tags is that I want results to be relevant right from the start and therefore usefull for everyone - rules of folksonomy apply just partially on EPZ users as they are community with quite narrow focus of photography Smile

It is all hard to explain but I hope you will find features comming great Smile

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:32 AM

Astro I'll give you.

But I've got exclusivity on Colliery, Clipstone, and gritty.

Wink

dougv
6 Jun 2006 - 9:33 AM

You've remembered to add the SEX tag have you Ian?

;o)

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012596 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:35 AM

Tom go home! I'm sure everyone really appreciates all the hard work you're putting in.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022892 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:37 AM

Leave the lad alone....he'll have a few women round later while the place is empty.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2006 - 9:41 AM

I'm quite surprised that you've asked us to tag our own images...I mean Pete's finished the book and he must have a lot of spare time on his hands now and he has to look through all of the images anyway...

;o)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.