Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Feature: ePHOTOzine search!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Will
Will  131788 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2006 - 2:47 AM

It's been a long time coming, but it's better than ever before!

At the top left of most of the main sections of ePHOTOzine, there will be a box allowing you to search those key areas.

When you click to search you will be whisked away to our new search server, which should show you a list of relevant results for your query.

A few notes:

- Results are ordered by relevance, so if the search system detects a high occurrence of your keyword it will rank that result higher.

- Because it's on a seperate server, it should be fast and if lots of people are searching, the main site won't be affected.

- It's not possible to do phrase matching yet, e.g. you can search for the two individual words canon 20d but not the specific phrase "canon 20d", though this isn't a big problem as usually results returned should be relevant.

- The search data will be updated hourly, so a new thread like this one, won't appear till an hour later.

- Because it's been written in-house, we'll be able to and are planning to, make improvements to it in the future. Our last search was a third-party script and wasn't fun to maintain.

- Planned improvements are: Ordering searches by date, boolean mode and phrase matching.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2006 - 2:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:49 AM

Thought I was going mad when it just popped up on my screen Smile

Nice one!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:52 AM

Seems to work well Will, a welcome enhancement. :0)

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points

Oh well done Smile Word of warning though you might need a sugar fix before you use it, its made my head spin at the speed it just went.

jimbo_t
jimbo_t  11959 forum posts England

Nice one EPZ folks!
Jim

gemeit
gemeit  978 forum posts Scotland

Nice one seems to work well

peter shilton
2 Feb 2006 - 2:55 AM

Excellent, much better.

Thanks.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:56 AM

Whoopee I'm excited... it takes me forever to find old links when I want to help people find archived stuff. I just tried one that I can never find...displacement - in the techniques and it came up instantly.

Have a play around - search for things you want to know...you'll then start to see what really is behind the front end and why it has taken us five years to fill!!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:57 AM

Well done Team! Smile

I'll give it a thorough try out later in the day and let you have any comments.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:57 AM

Hurrah!! Well done chaps

IanFlindt
IanFlindt  9739 forum posts United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:59 AM

Excellent!

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2006 - 2:59 AM

Just did a search on the forum on 'weddings' - and got 558 replies.

So, it seems to work then!

Mattw

naturenut
naturenut  111801 forum posts England
2 Feb 2006 - 3:01 AM

Brilliant, I did a search for Nod32 AV yesterday and didn't
come up with anything, now it has brought up 2 links :o) Well done Will.

ahollowa
ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
2 Feb 2006 - 3:02 AM

Brilliant. However for idiots like me who don't know their right from their left could you remove the old search link on the right.....at first I could see any difference from the old search then realised I had clicked top right not top left DOH!!!

cheers

Al.

PhilT1956
PhilT1956  832 forum posts
2 Feb 2006 - 3:02 AM

Yet another enhancement for an already brilliant website. Hope my pics aren't spoiling things too much. Must go - lots to look at! Well done everyone.
PhilT

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.