Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New Forrest Red Dear, where to go

Merbert e2
5 5 1 Australia
21 Oct 2009 7:19PM
Hi there,
Is there anybody who can tell me where the best place in the new Forrest is, to see the red deer rutting?
Or and some good photogenic walks.
I would like to go there early in the morning this weekend, would be nice knowing where to start.

Help in that matter would be very much appreciated.

Norbert

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
21 Oct 2009 7:42PM
Red Deer
Might be of use

Rather a large area ;(
Merbert e2
5 5 1 Australia
21 Oct 2009 8:22PM
Thanks!
IThink that will help.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
21 Oct 2009 8:39PM
The Red Deer rut in the New Forest will very likely be finished now.
The New Forest isn't a particularly good place to photograph them now anyway. Four or five of the mature stags were shot earlier this year which means the deer numbers are a lot lower and the likelyhood of witnessing much rutting behaviour was very low indeed.
What sightings there may have been would have been very fleeting anyway as the increased popularity in recent years has had a deteremental effect on the deer, resulting in them being hounded into the dense enclosures, where they generally tend to stay, well away from the public.

Other than sharing the general information which is listed above, which isn't a problem, posting more specific advice on exact locations isn't a good idea on a public forum as it's this, which has resulted in huge disruption to the New Forest's Red Deer recently, as anyone who is familiar with the area and the deer will tell you.

In all honesty, visiting a deer park will yield far better sightings and photographic results but if you're visiting the New Forest anyway I'm sure you'll have a great trip and find plenty of other worthy subjects.

As for photogenic walks, just basically park in any of the public car parks and head in any direction, you've got just over 100 square miles to choose from and will find good photographic locations anywhere in the Forest.
If you have a local map, check out any bodies of water or valleys for a good chance of atmospheric misty conditions, weather permitting. If it's Autumn colours your after, there's no shortage of oak and beech woods which should be looking pretty good about now.
Merbert e2
5 5 1 Australia
21 Oct 2009 8:49PM
Thanks,
What you saying, makes sence.
Just have to try my luck.
Norbert
Stubill 6 107 England
21 Oct 2009 9:28PM
Great post Justin.
The New Forest is awash with autumn colour at the moment where ever you look. The best time to visit and capture IMO.

Unless you are very familiar with the park, I think you would be unlikely, or incredibly lucky to catch the Red Deer at the moment. They need a break just now too.
Stu
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2009 9:31PM
Why not join in the EPZ meet - here

Your sure of a warm welcome if not a red deer and there should still be some mist and mellow fruitfulness about!
Smile
Merbert e2
5 5 1 Australia
24 Oct 2009 11:21AM
Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it.
I will go on Sunday morning and have a walk around at day break. I am sure there will be a few good autumn photos in it.

Scutter,
Thanks for your invitation! I will have a talk to my wife, and if it fits in to our planning, we will come to meet you in the new Forrest. I let you know when we get closer to the date.

Thanks again everyone Norbert

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.