Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New go-everywhere camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have a Canon G7, which I want to replace with something with a bit more IQ and probably, therefore, a bigger sensor (CMOS or 4/3rds). The Canon G1X is probably the perfect replacement but its silly price puts it out my budget. I've done a bit of research and it looks like Mirrorless is the way to go (although I'd probably rather go rangefinder). Given that I have a budget of around 400 has anyone any decent suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

This might suit you.

MeanGreeny
11 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Looks like the rumoured Canon mirrorless system might be nearer than people suspected - possibly announced at the end of May in Australia.

Two Cameras
G1 X Sensor Size
APS-C a possibility in one camera
14 & 24 megapixels
EF compatibility, but not EF mount.
EVF on one camera
3-5 Lenses announced at launch.

As always, expectations can go down as well as up Tongue

fraser
11 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks CB - already considered the E-PL3 but I'd probably only be able to afford one lens with it, so might have a look at the E-PM1 as well.

Simon, I hope you're wrong, because I want to get the camera before next weekend and certainly before the end of May. Anyway, I suspect (or hope?) the "budget" canon would be under-specced and the dearer one would be out of my budget.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2012 - 1:23 PM

Quote: expectations can go down as well as up

Haven't spotted this on either of the the 2 Canon rumours sites, so I suspect it may be a "rogue" rumour! Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2012 - 1:29 PM

Get an E-PM1...you know it makes sense Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2012 - 3:47 PM

Yep the EMP1 is a good little kit and at the mo there`s 75 cash back on all Pens.

https://olympuspen-lensesandaccessories.sales-promotions.com/customer-apply-for-...

photofrenzy
12 May 2012 - 1:19 AM

Quote: Get an E-PM1...you know it makes sense Wink

Your starting to sound like DEL-BOY lol Wink

fraser
14 May 2012 - 8:39 AM

Thanks all for your help and advice. Olympus E-PM1 I think it will probably be, just need to get my hands on one to try it out.Smile

ChrisV
ChrisV  7768 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2012 - 4:18 PM

I'd say make sure you try one of these too Panasonic G3 review. I reckon for four-thirds it's easily got the best bang-for-buck sensor at present and it chucks in an evf and fold-out touch screen whilst still be surprisingly diminutive.

Better resolution and better high ISO performance than any of the similarly priced M4/3 and personally I prefer the Panasonic ergonomics to the Olys. It's certainly worth a look and with 50 cashback before the end of the month, the basic kit is in your price bracket.

fraser
14 May 2012 - 4:59 PM

Thanks Chris. I need to arrange a trip to the Glasgow Jessops this week if I can squeeze one in. The G3 and GF3 have both caught my eye, so I'll be having a look at them as well as the Olympus.

george-dan
14 May 2012 - 7:50 PM

stick with canon & get a G12 Wink

fraser
14 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Getting a G12 has occured to me but I want images from a larger sensor. I don't think it's worth the move if I stuck with a G12.

Carabosse
14 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I do think M4/3 may be the way forward for you. If you are going to Jessops, you can handle the various canmeras and decide which best suits.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014680 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

We tend to spell it Camera over here.Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.