Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New graphics tablet - what size?

LeighRebecca 7 267 10 England
4 Mar 2009 5:52PM
I have a new 24" monitor (the old 17" one suddenly broke so the new pc will have to wait). I have a Bamboo one graphics card at the moment, which I always use.

I need to buy photoshop elements (which I intend to upgrade to full CS4 whenever the next half price deal comes along!), and it comes bundled with a Bamboo fun, which has a little more functionality than my current Bamboo.

I fancy the new Bamboo, as it is very little more in price than elements on its own - though it comes with version 6, rather than version 7 (is there much difference?).

So the small Bamboo is the same size (A6) as the tablet I use now. Does anyone with experience know if I'd be better of spending twice the amount to get the larger Bamboo fun 'medium'? I just wondered if it makes things easier, especially with a 24" screen?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad 10 10.9k 116
4 Mar 2009 9:13PM

Quote:Does anyone with experience know if I'd be better of spending twice the amount to get the larger Bamboo fun 'medium'?

I do, yes. I thought it was worth it.

You could also consider a special wide version of the Intuos.
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2009 9:21PM
Not worth it IMHO. I have an A6 Bamboo fun with a 24" monitor and it's fine.

As I understand it larger tablets are principally only of advantage to artists and graphic designers who use large pen/brush strokes in their art work.

Photographic work generally uses much smaller movements; so a small tablet is fine.

Well that's what I was told! All I can say is an A6 tablet and a 24" monitor works fine for me.
4 Mar 2009 9:25PM
Thanks Conrad. I haven't looked, but I fear a special wide version of the Intuos will cost me too much of my pc savings budget. Does a larger size allow greater control, do you think?
Sorry, crossed posts, Henchard. Thanks for your feedback.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
4 Mar 2009 9:25PM
It depends on how detailed the work is that one does in his images. When working in great detail I found that the A6 gave me a very cramped feeling. The bigger one is better in that respect. But it does depend on what the user wants out of it.
Geraint 8 715 34 Wales
4 Mar 2009 9:26PM
I also use a small Wacom with a 24" monitor, and as Henchard says the movements you make when toucjhng up photos are small, so you don't really need a huge area. That's my experience anyway!
4 Mar 2009 9:44PM
Hmm, food for thought. I must admit, even with my old Bamboo one I am not finding much difficulty with the sort of detail and control across the whole screen that I thought I might with such a big jump in screen size. So I will probably save some money and stick to the small size bamboo fun.

Now, can anyone say whether photoshop elements 6 has many useful features missing compared to version 7 ? Because I may have to use it for quite a while before another good offer on full photoshop.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.