Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New graphics tablet - what size?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    LeighRebecca
    4 Mar 2009 - 5:52 PM

I have a new 24" monitor (the old 17" one suddenly broke so the new pc will have to wait). I have a Bamboo one graphics card at the moment, which I always use.

I need to buy photoshop elements (which I intend to upgrade to full CS4 whenever the next half price deal comes along!), and it comes bundled with a Bamboo fun, which has a little more functionality than my current Bamboo.

I fancy the new Bamboo, as it is very little more in price than elements on its own - though it comes with version 6, rather than version 7 (is there much difference?).

So the small Bamboo is the same size (A6) as the tablet I use now. Does anyone with experience know if I'd be better of spending twice the amount to get the larger Bamboo fun 'medium'? I just wondered if it makes things easier, especially with a 24" screen?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Mar 2009 - 5:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 9:13 PM

Quote: Does anyone with experience know if I'd be better of spending twice the amount to get the larger Bamboo fun 'medium'?

I do, yes. I thought it was worth it.

You could also consider a special wide version of the Intuos.

Last Modified By conrad at 4 Mar 2009 - 9:14 PM
    Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 9:21 PM

Not worth it IMHO. I have an A6 Bamboo fun with a 24" monitor and it's fine.

As I understand it larger tablets are principally only of advantage to artists and graphic designers who use large pen/brush strokes in their art work.

Photographic work generally uses much smaller movements; so a small tablet is fine.

Well that's what I was told! All I can say is an A6 tablet and a 24" monitor works fine for me.

LeighRebecca
    4 Mar 2009 - 9:25 PM

Thanks Conrad. I haven't looked, but I fear a special wide version of the Intuos will cost me too much of my pc savings budget. Does a larger size allow greater control, do you think?
    Sorry, crossed posts, Henchard. Thanks for your feedback.

Last Modified By LeighRebecca at 4 Mar 2009 - 9:26 PM
    conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 9:25 PM

It depends on how detailed the work is that one does in his images. When working in great detail I found that the A6 gave me a very cramped feeling. The bigger one is better in that respect. But it does depend on what the user wants out of it.

Last Modified By conrad at 4 Mar 2009 - 9:27 PM
    Geraint
    Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 9:26 PM

I also use a small Wacom with a 24" monitor, and as Henchard says the movements you make when toucjhng up photos are small, so you don't really need a huge area. That's my experience anyway!

LeighRebecca
    4 Mar 2009 - 9:44 PM

Hmm, food for thought. I must admit, even with my old Bamboo one I am not finding much difficulty with the sort of detail and control across the whole screen that I thought I might with such a big jump in screen size. So I will probably save some money and stick to the small size bamboo fun.

Now, can anyone say whether photoshop elements 6 has many useful features missing compared to version 7 ? Because I may have to use it for quite a while before another good offer on full photoshop.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.