Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

new ink or cheap printer

30 Aug 2012 5:58PM
not much in it price wise would you spend 30 odd on ink for a cheap printer or buy a another cheap printer for about another tenner

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Aug 2012 6:03PM
I don`t print photo`s, only documents.

So I always use compatibles from choice stationary
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
30 Aug 2012 6:03PM
It depends how old the printer is. If there's still plenty of life left in it then just buy new cartridges. If you have had custom icc profiles made for various papers, then all the more reason to keep the printer as they would be useless with a new printer, even an identical model.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
31 Aug 2012 9:32PM
Buy a new printer with new cartridges.

Sell old printer without cartridges on eBay.

Win-Win.
1 Sep 2012 10:03AM
For first class service, quick delivery and good prices for dedicated or compatible ink (and lots of other "photo" bits) I know of no place better than www.premier-ink.co.uk Smile
1 Sep 2012 3:57PM

Quote:For first class service, quick delivery and good prices

I ordered yesterday morning - delivered Royal Mail this morning.
The inks were 33% less than high street.
ratedkg 2 6 United States
29 Sep 2012 5:50AM
I'm also trying to find a cheaper printer with cheaper ink now since I think most of my money now goes to buying inks.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
30 Sep 2012 10:12AM
The trick is to buy a continuous ink system.

Our current office printer has used a couple of litres of ink from a CISS and this has saved a small fortune. If it goes wrong, we can ditch it without shedding any tears.
30 Sep 2012 7:07PM
Bear in mind that every photograph "printed" will fade with time! If you are going to keep photos, get them printed on line, really cheapo these days, and they are "real" photos. I use Photobox , their service is brilliant, order one day they are with you next, and their prices are very competitive.
cannyman 6 123
30 Sep 2012 7:23PM
I was very fortunate to purchase 2 Epson printers 520 and 620,both combi`s I am able to refill and reset the chip, so I have been using them for about 4 years now. The ink cost 3 for 200ml bottles, they are excellent inks.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
30 Sep 2012 7:24PM

Quote:Bear in mind that every photograph "printed" will fade with time! If you are going to keep photos, get them printed on line, really cheapo these days, and they are "real" photos. I use Photobox, their service is brilliant, order one day they are with you next, and their prices are very competitive.

With respect, I think your recommendation above is a little behind the times and about ten years out of date!!!

Modern inkjet printers are perfectly capable of producing prints to the very highest standard and easily up to exhibition standard. You want to try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Personally if I wanted a photographic print and there was the option of choosing Photobox or a print made on a fine art paper, on a modern pigment inkjet printer, by a skilled print maker, I know which I would choose and it sure wouldn't be Photobox.

Quote:I use Photobox, their service is brilliant, order one day they are with you next

As slow as that!!!!! TongueWink I can send an image to my inkjet printer and get it done in less than five minutes and I won't need to get it re-done because it's come back too dark Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.