Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Junior Group

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 11:09 AM

This is just to let everyone know that we have, experimentally, set up a new Group for ePhotozine Junior members, i.e. those under the age of 16. The Group will be a private group, membership is by invite only and visibility limited to members. It will be overseen by the Junior Gallery Team.

The Group will provide young members with an opportunity to discuss their photography, away from the hurly-burly of the main forum, and for all members including the Junior Gallery Team to upload modifications and other additional photos.

To set the ball rolling, invites are going out today to those members who have posted photos in the Junior Gallery over the past month about 50 members in all. We shall see how things go and, if the experiment is a success, all Juniors will be invited to join in due course.

However, if you are a Junior who has not received an invite and would like to join in the experiment please feel free to PM me. Parents of Junior members are asked to draw their attention to this message as, no doubt, some Juniors are not forum regulars.

Thanks.

CB

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2012 - 11:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 11:17 AM

I do hope that you will encourage the Juniors to continue to upload their images in the usual "Public" Galleries.

It would be a shame if they "hid" their excellent work into the "Private" Group gallery.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64537 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 11:20 AM

I agree. I've often come across J pics in the gallery which can easily hold their own beside more experienced photographers.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 11:22 AM

The private group gallery will mainly be for modifications - and the like.

As I have said, this is an experiment and we shall see how it goes before widening it.

MrGoatsmilk
28 Jun 2012 - 11:48 AM

Sounds like a great idea Smile

Speaking as a parent with young kids I would be far happier for them to use a more secure area in particular for discussions and or advice etc.

When the eldest is ready I'm sure we will sign up.

Stu

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 28 Jun 2012 - 11:49 AM
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84308 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 12:14 PM

It will be a brilliant place to introduce Juniors to the art of 'forums', without them feeling threatened or afraid their questions are 'stupid'! Smile

jamestheboy
28 Jun 2012 - 6:16 PM

I am looking forward to seeing this work really well I hope that the juniors can get on with it well, may be to get them to talk a little bit more about their photography. Anyway big thumbs up from me Smile

james Smile

User_Removed
28 Jun 2012 - 6:34 PM

Quote: I've often come across J pics in the gallery which can easily hold their own beside more experienced photographers.

Indeed. Having them continue to post in the main Gallery is a 'must'.

Carabosse
28 Jun 2012 - 7:28 PM

Quote: Having them continue to post in the main Gallery is a 'must'.

Agreed. However junior members may be somewhat intimidated by the rough and tumble of the open forum, and a private section where they can ask questions, interact with each other and develop their interest in photography is also, we think, a 'must'.

SueEley
SueEley  8271 forum posts Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 7:50 PM

I like this idea, though I also like seeing the worker of younger photographers. But I think I will be happier to recommend epz to young people I work with, knowing it has this facility.

Carabosse
28 Jun 2012 - 7:56 PM

Quote: But I think I will be happier to recommend epz to young people I work with, knowing it has this facility.

Delighted to hear that, Sue. Smile

User_Removed
28 Jun 2012 - 8:31 PM

Quote: However junior members may be somewhat intimidated by the rough and tumble of the open forum, and a private section where they can ask questions, interact with each other and develop their interest in photography is also, we think, a 'must'.

Then we need - collectively through the good offices of the JGT members - to have the main Gallery 'policed' by the JGT so that any typical 'cut 'n thrust' is controlled.

Yes. Provide an area where the 'burn to learn' is nurtured but - please - don't 'buffer' them from the reality of life.

(That said - it will be a difficult task...) Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Jun 2012 - 8:32 PM
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84308 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 8:48 PM

Quote: Then we need - collectively through the good offices of the JGT members - to have the main Gallery 'policed' by the JGT so that any typical 'cut 'n thrust' is controlled.

Do you not think it is?

Quote: Yes. Provide an area where the 'burn to learn' is nurtured but - please - don't 'buffer' them from the reality of life.

Sometimes they will come into the forum and see some of the unhelpful answers given to some of the questions raised - that's enough to frighten off some adults, let alone young juniors! (Do a 'search' for 'Help with wedding' queries! for example!). I don't consider it 'buffering' them from reality - I consider it an area where they can interact with their peers without fear of being stomped on verbally!

Quote: That said - it will be a difficult task

So, the more encouragement they get the better!

User_Removed
28 Jun 2012 - 8:57 PM

I am not - in any way - being critical of the good work done by the JGT Karen.
Please - don't misunderstand me on this BUT, the fact of the matter is that there is some fabulous young talent that are members here. To have them 'buffered' in the Forums is, I feel, wrong.
BUT to have them mentored by JGT - as has already been done - is essential.

So... in so may words... do we really need a change??

Carabosse
28 Jun 2012 - 9:08 PM

Quote: So... in so may words... do we really need a change??

Yes......... in a word.

You will be surprised how few juniors regularly contribute to the Junior Gallery. And how many juniors do you see participating in forum discussions. Pretty much........................... none!

We want to encourage young talent and this is an experiment. If it works well we'll expand it. If it doesn't we'll ditch it. Simples! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.