Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New laws effecting us Photographers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9164 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 10:53 PM

Yesterday I have had an email sent to me directing my attention to the following web page http://www.photoactive.co.uk/archives/7055.

In here it talks about two potential new laws, the first being led by Lord Mandleson and which, according to this article, is likely to shortly come into effect and in so doing will seriously damages one's ability to claim image copyright infringement.

The second is apparantly being promoted by another goverment body in which, under some Data Protection theme, it will prevent the taking of images of people in a public place.

I have only glanced at the information supporting these two assertions but if true gives great cause for concern. However not hearing of anyone else shouting about issues or other articles in the media, I am inclined to put it all down to it being so much hog-wash. Am I right to do so??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2010 - 10:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2010 - 12:30 AM

Page does not exist error 404.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2010 - 12:45 AM

It existed when I looked

riggwelter
3 Mar 2010 - 1:36 AM

This link works

I take it that it is something to do with the 'orphan works' jobbie that is floating around on t'internet at the moment.

It does need looking into.

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2010 - 9:01 AM

Thank you, that link works.

gaelldew
gaelldew  7267 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Mar 2010 - 11:18 AM

Big Brother again, people have short memories with this lot. Mandleson aint even elected.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123848 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2010 - 11:53 AM

Another outrageous intrusive law by wretched government however what have the "photographic bodies" said? The SWPP, BIPP, MPA and the RPS ... not a word! Perhaps these institutions when pay up time comes round should be rewarded with nothing.

thewilliam
3 Mar 2010 - 1:18 PM

I don't seem to remember Gordon Brown being elected to the top job.

The RPS has done a considerable amount of lobbying where it matters most but unfortunately the UK no longer seems to be a democracy.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123848 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2010 - 10:29 AM

There may just be a note of optimism: we can rely on the general misunderstanding of the law by the great British Public and tourists alike; many of the public and tourists are NOT professional photographers; they won't be able to tell the difference between a professional, amateur or compact camera; many photographers of whatever ilk will be advised by the public not to point their cameras at them; hopefully many tourists then will be dissuaded from visiting the UK ..... and the goverment may amend the law ....maybe .... perhaps.... my view is more in hope than expectation.

Or we can junk our DSLRs in favour of the rising stars in compact cameras e.g. the Panasonic Lumix; the Olympus EP-1 or one of the new to be launched Sony products.

Personally if Zanu Labour win another 5 years I may consider emigration as I am personally and totally against this totalitarianism style of government.

Last Modified By peterjones at 4 Mar 2010 - 10:31 AM
thewilliam
4 Mar 2010 - 10:45 AM

Is it true that New Labour is set to change its name yet again - to ENGSOC?

filmforever
5 Mar 2010 - 10:58 PM

Quote:

The second is apparantly being promoted by another goverment body in which, under some Data Protection theme, it will prevent the taking of images of people in a public place.

However not hearing of anyone else shouting about issues or other articles in the media,

I think that preventing photographers taking images of people in a public place, would be wholly impossible to enforce......our jails would be full of camera toting Japanese and American tourists!

Don't expect any articles about this in what is rather a toothless media these days, interested only in the world of celebrity.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2010 - 11:04 PM

Quote: I think that preventing photographers taking images of people in a public place, would be wholly impossible to enforce......our jails would be full of camera toting Japanese and American tourists!

I think it will only affect Cannon and Nikon users, the rest of us mere mortals will be fine lol!

Bucephalas69
5 Mar 2010 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
I think that preventing photographers taking images of people in a public place, would be wholly impossible to enforce......our jails would be full of camera toting Japanese and American tourists!

They don't want the tourists kept in their place, just us.
Our liberties are being eroded inch by inch so people don't notice. To some degree we are already living in a police state.
They can watch us as much as they want, but we can't photograph police or soon, anyone in a public place. The new legislation may give everyone an assumed right of privacy from the camera toting perverts out there, but the gov can go on videoing you everywhere you go. Then we're all knackered!

As for the copyright issue, this will allow Rupert Murdoch to use any "orphaned" images he wants. Problem is, the Gov hasn't stated what an orphaned image is, what constitutes an attempt to find the copyright owner and how much is the fee that Murdoch will have to put in the kitty?? Also, when the copyright owner does come forward he is entitled to an as yet undisclosed % of an undisclosed fee!

Getting in Murdoch's good books in a run up to a general election can't hurt anyone can it? Except us!

Last Modified By Bucephalas69 at 5 Mar 2010 - 11:15 PM
Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2010 - 5:34 AM

Labour have created a police state. I will never forgive them for it. CCTV, freedom of speech, photography restrictions. Gordon has have created a 1960's eastern block style dictatorship. Brown and Mandelson are egotistic dictators, isn't that what the Labour party was set up to combat?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.