Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

new lens

KONIN e2
3 252 England
19 Feb 2013 9:11AM
hi everybody i am thinking of purchasing a new or second hand lens iam thinking of either nikon 70-200mm f2-8 vr1 or vr2.
so my question is how much diffrence is there between the two lenses in sharpness for hand held sports photography,this is not my chosen jaundra and i was sort off yanked in by a couple of mates to take some shots of them was then approached track side by other people and now find my self hooked.so for a diffrence in price of 800 hard earned squid between vr1 second hand and vr2 new will i see much diffrence in my shots and method for the extra bucks,your help is much apreciated on this matter (ps dont tell err in doors)
stuart

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
19 Feb 2013 9:48AM
One major difference is the sharpness in the corners.

The Mk1 lens is great for DX format and She-who-must-be-obeyed uses one but it's considerably less sharp than the older 80-200 AFS in the corners of the frame. When Nikon planned to release full-frame digital bodies like the D3X, the lens was upgraded to have better edge sharpness. You get what you pay for!
thp2010 1 2 United States
7 Mar 2013 3:37PM
Go with what fits your budget and needs. Both are stellar lenses.
When budget comes into play always buy the best you can afford. The vr2 is improved, but not worth the difference in price.
If you have neither both will be huge improvements with what you use now. Can't go wrong with either.

Biggest things are budget and how much you will use them.

Take note these are both very heavy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.