Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New lens

boxer57 e2
7 85 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2007 3:00PM
I am considering purchasing a new lens for my rebel xt and wondered what people thought about my choices. I am looking at either the Canon 18-85 or the Sigma 17-70 F2.8 macro, anybody any advice on either of these lenses please

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
9 Jun 2007 3:59PM
There have been a couple of threads on this subject recently, I have contributed to them. They are in the lenses section.
Do you mean the Canon 17-85 IS when you mention the 18-85 ?
I have had both, the Sigma for a year, I sold it in April to buy the Canon because it had 100 Casback. The Sigma is excellent value for money, but the autofocus is noisy and can "hunt" a little. I did have doubts at first about the Canon, but now I have used it more I can see the positives. There is better contrast and colour. The IS can be useful in low light, it is better made and has a much better autofocus system, including full time manual focussing which I find useful.
It all comes down to money at the end of the day, I think whichever you choose you will be happy.
Steve
Simon-Gimson e2
8 236 1 England
9 Jun 2007 4:00PM
hi iam useing a canon 28-105 thats seems ok
12 Jun 2007 11:51AM
I have a 17-85mm Canon IS USM and its fine. If money were no object I might try an L Lens!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.