Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AndyD999
    AndyD999  243 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

I have a budget of around 400 and am wanting to get a new lens for my Canon 400D Eos. I have seen the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 dc os lens for canon and it looks really good. I like the zoom range on it and the fact you can use macro on it. I generally shoot anything but want a lens thats good for portraits with macro capabilities.

Has anyone got any other suggestions on lens or used the above lens and think its any good before i go spending my money?

Thanks
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    14 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

portraits canon 50mm mark 11 im led to believe

mikehit
    mikehit  56294 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 9:16 AM

The top line would be the 100mm f2.8 macro (without IS) - it is a bit longer than is classically used for for portraits but some do use it. And it is one of the sharpest lenses you will ever buy.
    Alternatives are the 60mm macro plus a flash unit or the 50mmm f1.8 + extension tubes + flash. The flash is surprisingly useful for macro as well as portraits - the 430EXII is about 200 new and the 580 EXII is about 3275 though I got mine second hand for a very good deal. If you go for the 430EXII first of all, and get the bug then you can get the 580EXII later and keep the 430 as a slave unit.

For macro you may also want to consider getting a cable release for those occasions you use a tripod.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.