Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New London-Birmingham rail link

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    filmforever
    10 Mar 2011 - 5:47 PM

Don't know if this subject has come up before (apologies if it has), But what exactly is the point of the proposed high speed London to Birmingham rail link?

A wide area of pristine Chiltern countryside will be carved up, plus thousands of acres of prime farmland at a time when we're being told of possible food shortages in the future. Not to mention the many that will lose their homes.

And all so that a few businessmen can save about 30mins. on the present Euston-Birmingham service.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Mar 2011 - 5:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 7:38 PM

Quote: Don't know if this subject has come up before (apologies if it has), But what exactly is the point of the proposed high speed London to Birmingham rail link?

Rail travel is getting ever more popular; roads are getting ever more crowded and the current West Coast Main Line is twisty, slow and congested. Besides, much of the rest of Europe long ago overtook us in terms of investing in high-speed lines. For the country that invented rail-travel, we have fallen woefully behind - mainly due to decades of under-investment. It's the British disease.

Quote: And all so that a few businessmen can save about 30mins. on the present Euston-Birmingham service.

Why just businessmen? Surely it's going to be for anybody who wants to use it?

Last Modified By joolsb at 10 Mar 2011 - 7:40 PM
    MrGoatsmilk
    10 Mar 2011 - 7:56 PM

Since the price of fuel and the fact I am being moved further from home again to work, I am now looking at cycling and using the train. If the train I was looking at was 30mins quicker then that would mean I would get to travel 1 hour less per day and get to spend that time with my kids instead.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 8:07 PM

Quote: Why just businessmen? Surely it's going to be for anybody who wants to use it?

At a price Sad

PP
    PP  12222 forum posts England
    10 Mar 2011 - 8:18 PM

Quote: Why just businessmen? Surely it's going to be for anybody who wants to use it?

Well, current proposal is that HS2 will be whizzing its way close to where I live. Will I be able to use it? No, it won't be stopping at my town! We will have the pleasure of listening to all the noise though, and can enjoy the view of a train line passing through an area of outstanding beauty. Some call it progess.

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 8:22 PM

What ever happened to all those ideas of building things underground rather than overground... works for the London Underground so why not go cross country with it! Save the farm land and give you the super fast train!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 8:38 PM

Quote: works for the London Underground so why not go cross country with it! Save the farm land and give you the super fast train!

Something like a good 80/90 % of it dose`nt actually run underground.

joolsb
    10 Mar 2011 - 9:31 PM

Quote: What ever happened to all those ideas of building things underground rather than overground...

Probably the fact that drilling tunnels through solid rock is vastly more expensive than going overground has something to do with it....

Paul Morgan
    10 Mar 2011 - 9:35 PM

Quote: Probably the fact that drilling tunnels through solid rock is vastly more expensive than going overground has something to do with it....

That as well, not that going above ground makes it particularly simple.

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 9:39 PM

Quote:
    Probably the fact that drilling tunnels through solid rock is vastly more expensive than going overground has something to do with it....

Well we went all the way to France (under sea! ) just to get cheap booze and cigs - so all we have to do is find something in the north that we really want which is cheaper and make a saving there!

joolsb
    10 Mar 2011 - 9:50 PM

Well, I did say tunnelling is more expensive than going overland - not over sea.... Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.