Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

new member near cambridge

mike101 2 4 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 11:11AM
I was here ages ago, then drifted away (from the site, not from photography), but dont remember why.... Seems to be getting bigger!

intro to me? I'm Mike, an early mid-life-crisiser (41), thinking about jacking in my office job to be a photographer... I'm 'OK' at it - I'm not kidding myself that I'm great, but I do OK and get pretty good feedback.

I did a couple of fashion shoots, they were fun but seem to be really badly paid and mostly in london. Portrait shoots are better, there's more interaction with the people (which I love), and I've been paid for a couple of them. Since the autumn I've done half a dozen weddings and really enjoyed all of them (yes, I got insurance, got good backup equipment and did it properly), so when I've got a stronger portfolio I'll try marketing it properly and see where it gets me.... I'm pretty good with the people side of it too (after 20 years in sales I guess I should be!)

my website is awful though, I need to spend some time moving it from a standard zenfolio site which looks pretty much identical to every other zenfolio site and learning how to wordpress it... Am looking for inspiration! (clean, shiny, simple and quick? too much to hope for?)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 1:24PM
Hi Mike,

So is your 40's the new career start time ? Sounds like you are well on the way - jacking in? or slowely taking more part time work till you transition over?
If you haven't already, have you seen http://www.ephotozine.com/user/ade-mcfade-18097 he did switch over - its been hard i think but he now does something enjoyable Smile

Lovely images on your site, i hope you upload a few here too.
Also twitter/facebook sites might help.

When were you here before, about 3/4 years ago? anyway welcome back.

Stuart,
Fogey 1 70 13 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 2:45PM
I thought of becoming professional - but after some thought decided not to.

The idea that I would be at the beck and call of all who commissioned me simply didn't gel, as that would turn my passion into a chore.

Anyway, welcome - I look forward to seeing some of your work.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
27 Feb 2013 3:12PM
Welcome - it's good to see someone who recognises the importance of the business/marketing side of things when consdiering whether to turn pro. Smile

A few books, with links, mentioned here which may be of help.
mike101 2 4 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 4:57PM
thanks for the welcome, folks. Fogey, I know what you mean but I get told what to do at work anyway, i might as well be doing something I enjoy!

(thanks for the link to the books too Carabosse, will take a look!)

I'll start to add stuff to my portfolio on here, eventually. Meanwhile, for the exceptionally bored, my blog is: http://simpleimages.co.uk/blog

mike
User_Removed 7 736 4
27 Feb 2013 10:20PM
Lovely work on your website and blog, Mike!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.