Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

new member near cambridge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mike101
    mike101  2 United Kingdom
    26 Feb 2013 - 11:11 AM

I was here ages ago, then drifted away (from the site, not from photography), but dont remember why.... Seems to be getting bigger!

intro to me? I'm Mike, an early mid-life-crisiser (41), thinking about jacking in my office job to be a photographer... I'm 'OK' at it - I'm not kidding myself that I'm great, but I do OK and get pretty good feedback.

I did a couple of fashion shoots, they were fun but seem to be really badly paid and mostly in london. Portrait shoots are better, there's more interaction with the people (which I love), and I've been paid for a couple of them. Since the autumn I've done half a dozen weddings and really enjoyed all of them (yes, I got insurance, got good backup equipment and did it properly), so when I've got a stronger portfolio I'll try marketing it properly and see where it gets me.... I'm pretty good with the people side of it too (after 20 years in sales I guess I should be!)

my website is awful though, I need to spend some time moving it from a standard zenfolio site which looks pretty much identical to every other zenfolio site and learning how to wordpress it... Am looking for inspiration! (clean, shiny, simple and quick? too much to hope for?)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Feb 2013 - 11:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53540 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Feb 2013 - 1:24 PM

Hi Mike,

So is your 40's the new career start time ? Sounds like you are well on the way - jacking in? or slowely taking more part time work till you transition over?
    If you haven't already, have you seen http://www.ephotozine.com/user/ade-mcfade-18097 he did switch over - its been hard i think but he now does something enjoyable Smile

Lovely images on your site, i hope you upload a few here too.
    Also twitter/facebook sites might help.

When were you here before, about 3/4 years ago? anyway welcome back.

Stuart,

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 26 Feb 2013 - 1:24 PM
    Fogey
    Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2013 - 2:45 PM

I thought of becoming professional - but after some thought decided not to.

The idea that I would be at the beck and call of all who commissioned me simply didn't gel, as that would turn my passion into a chore.

Anyway, welcome - I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2013 - 3:12 PM

Welcome - it's good to see someone who recognises the importance of the business/marketing side of things when consdiering whether to turn pro. Smile

A few books, with links, mentioned here which may be of help.

mike101
    mike101  2 United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2013 - 4:57 PM

thanks for the welcome, folks. Fogey, I know what you mean but I get told what to do at work anyway, i might as well be doing something I enjoy!

(thanks for the link to the books too Carabosse, will take a look!)

I'll start to add stuff to my portfolio on here, eventually. Meanwhile, for the exceptionally bored, my blog is: http://simpleimages.co.uk/blog

mike

User_Removed
    27 Feb 2013 - 10:20 PM

Lovely work on your website and blog, Mike!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.