Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New midge repellent - Smidge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Phil_Restan
31 Aug 2010 - 9:28 PM

For anyone looking for a midge repellent, there is a new one on the market. Smidge, I haven’t tried it myself yet but it’s produced by the same people that produce the midge forecast. They've been studying midges for some years so it’s likely to be good, but I can’t guarantee it. It is just another one to try.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2010 - 9:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
31 Aug 2010 - 10:06 PM

Might give this a shot Phil but up to now the old Avon Skin-so-Soft is the only stuff that prevents them from biting, it doesn't however prevent them from swarming around me and entering my ears, eyes, nose and gob though.......

Sad

JP

chris.maddock
31 Aug 2010 - 10:11 PM

Quote: Might give this a shot Phil but up to now the old Avon Skin-so-Soft is the only stuff that prevents them from biting, it doesn't however prevent them from swarming around me and entering my ears, eyes, nose and gob though.......

Phew, it's not just me then.
I was wondering if the stuff did actually work - like you, I still get them all over me but no bites.

MrsS
MrsS  74527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:16 PM

The pharmacist in Kyle recommended Smidge last week when I was there. Certainly didn't get any more bites, but the best purchase for me was the midge hood made out of mosquito net, as the worst thing for me is having them swarm round my head - really freaks me out! Still had the swarms, but they didn't land and the physical barrier made all the difference to my mental state! Wink

Got a few funny looks, but hey, who cares?? Grin

MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:17 PM

Just come back from the Isle of Mull and the Avon skin so soft performed flawlessly if you don't mind smelling like a baby!!
Mike

JohnParminter
31 Aug 2010 - 10:19 PM

I've been driven to absolute torment on occasion Chris with the thousands of swarming blighters just constantly buzzing and totally annoying the hell out of me when I have been patiently waiting for a shot. On a few occasions I have just packed up and ran for my life to the relative safety of somewhere with a gentle breeze.

Even though I have dramatically lessened the chances of getting bitten by using S-s-S the sheer annoying factor of them can drive me mental.

I have thought about buying one of them net hats Fran, could be a dandy purchase..

John

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 31 Aug 2010 - 10:21 PM
Snapper
Snapper  93686 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:20 PM

Quote: Might give this a shot Phil but up to now the old Avon Skin-so-Soft is the only stuff that prevents them from biting, it doesn't however prevent them from swarming around me and entering my ears, eyes, nose and gob though.......

Phew, it's not just me then.
I was wondering if the stuff did actually work - like you, I still get them all over me but no bites.

This is the con trick with the use of the word "repellent" as they aren't really repelled away from you, only that they're put off their dinner (you!). I've been in NW Sutherland over the past 3 weeks or so and the lack of wind has meant the midges were atrocious. I think the tourist board must pay the Midge Forecast people not to cover that far!

JohnParminter
31 Aug 2010 - 10:25 PM

On the last couple of trips to the highlands they have actually bit me in the eye, in my torment I have frantically rubbed my eyes but must have got one or two in and they have bitten me on the inside of my eyelid with the resulting bloodshot eyes for 3 days later.
Nightmare....

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:29 PM

Quote: On the last couple of trips to the highlands they have actually bit me in the eye,

Ohh god - thats like some sort of horror movie!

User_Removed
31 Aug 2010 - 10:30 PM

Skin-so-soft for me too. Been out in the Dark Peak this evening shooting and despite being beset by millions of the buggers came away without a bite. Tis black magic i tell you Grin

MrsS
31 Aug 2010 - 10:31 PM

Sounds horrendous, John!

Quote: I have thought about buying one of them net hats Fran

Best £4.49 I spent last week. It's now permanently resident in my camera bag. We even met a fellow photographer at the Kerrang (!) who had bought a midge jacket with hood included - he reckoned it was well worth the cash he paid too Smile

Last Modified By MrsS at 31 Aug 2010 - 10:32 PM
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:46 PM

Monitoring this thread with interest as I have just recovered from a week of being subjected to Transylvanian mosquitoes who are clearly immune to DEET! They are Dracula's little helpers I swear! I came up in enormous lumps and blisters despite using Jungle Formula and various antihistamines. I am convinced that I have been injected with vampire DNA as a result (and I get quite excited when the moon rises come to think of it!!)

I have also had my fill (no- they had their fill come to think of it!!) of Skye midges having spent several months up there many moons ago. They are evil little sods. I find that they don't bother me too much at the time of attack but between 12 and 48 hours afterwards when I go crazy! I favour the physical barrier approach but I would be happy to smell like a tart's boudoir as well if the potions work!!

I hope the little sods have all died by the time Pitlochry comes around.............

MrsS
31 Aug 2010 - 10:49 PM

Quote: I hope the little sods have all died by the time Pitlochry comes around.............

Me too!!!!

But I'll be bringing my new "head"net, just in case! Wink

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
31 Aug 2010 - 10:53 PM

The Kerrang!!! You mean Quiraing I hope. Both have a heavy rock element though I suppose.

Keep travelling north - they love the English blood. They'll fly for miles and tell all their friends if there's a tasty southerner around - us Scots have too much cholesterol in our blood making it too viscous to suck up through their wee proboscii.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2010 - 10:54 PM

Quote: I hope the little sods have all died by the time Pitlochry comes around.............
Me too!!!!

But I'll be bringing my new "head"net, just in case! Wink

hmmm, I might have to nick one of the Mother-in-Law's net curtains then...............Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.